• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Annie_H

Annie_H

4 hours ago, DianaB said:

Has anyone tried growing plants from the seeds?

Campari is a hybrid. It will not grow true from seed. As are all of their tomatoes. Much different process than heirloom open-pollinated varieties. I save seeds from all my heirlooms and will get the genetic match every year. Unless a rare bee cross happens.

A hybrid program might look more like a laboratory. They may have a 100 or more crosses before they get one that checks all the boxes for greenhouse growing. The parent tomatoes are a well kept secret. They look for a fast grower, prolific, stores well and travels well, and good flavor. Under controlled conditions in a greenhouse, may not do well outdoors in a garden. You can buy their seed and many hybrids but are always a bit more expensive. 

Some hybrids are created for the home garden like the success story SunGold. It does well in just about every climate around the globe---a climate that can grow tomatoes. Usually the first tomato to ripen and loaded with tiny bursts of summer flavor. Rarely make it out of the garden. Loved for a snack right off the plant. All my tomatoes are from shared/saved seed except for SunGold and a couple other hybrids. 

Annie_H

Annie_H

4 hours ago, DianaB said:

Has anyone tried growing plants from the seeds?

Campari is a hybrid. It will not grow true from seed. As are all of their tomatoes. Much different process than heirloom open-pollinated varieties. I save seeds from all my heirlooms and will the genetic match. Unless a rare bee cross happens.

A hybrid program might look more like a laboratory. They may have a 100 or more crosses before they get one that checks all the boxes for greenhouse growing. The parent tomatoes are a well kept secret. They look for a fast grower, prolific, stores well and travels well, and good flavor. Under controlled conditions in a greenhouse, may not do well outdoors in a garden. You can buy their seed and many hybrids but are always a bit more expensive. 

Some hybrids are created for the home garden like the success story SunGold. It does well in just about every climate around the globe---a climate that can grow tomatoes. Usually the first tomato to ripen and loaded with tiny bursts of summer flavor. Rarely make it out of the garden. Loved for a snack right off the plant. All my tomatoes are from shared/saved seed except for SunGold and a couple other hybrids.