• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

@Martin Fisher so sir does Tomatovillian™ have input?

It is all money making fodder for lawyers as companies fight for market share - in my view. If you are totally bored for reading material, this pleading in a Mastronardi case against a competitor about another tomato TM gives some interesting perspective on what matters.   https://casetext.com/brief/mastronardi-produce-ltd-v-lakeside-produce-inc_motion-for-preliminary-injunction

Mastronardi does state that the packaging is a big part of the marketing "There is no one who would mistake our packaging and design for that of Naturesweet" in a lawsuit with another company.  I know that, visually challenged, I reached for that familiar packaging and presentation. And the flavor was as expected - good.

ETA: the statements on page 24 about customer confusion I found pretty lame

heidih

heidih

@Martin Fisher so sir does Tomatovillian™ have input?

It is all money making fodder for lawyers as companies fight for market share - in my view. If you are totally bored for reading material, this pleading in a Mastronardi case against a competitor about another tomato TM gives some interesting perspective on what matters.   https://casetext.com/brief/mastronardi-produce-ltd-v-lakeside-produce-inc_motion-for-preliminary-injunction

Mastronardi does state that the packaging is a big part of the marketing "There is no one who would mistake our packaging and design for that of Naturesweet" in a lawsuit with another company.  I know that, visually challenged, I reached for that familiar packaging and presentation. And the flavor was as expected - good.