• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Grocery store muffins

We are hosting what will definitely be the last Dog Weekend in August and a young man who from Delaware has brought as his contributions in the past these amazing bakery muffins.  I've never tasted such excellent muffins and I know they cost a king's ransom which he can ill afford. 

So the magnanimous hostess said we'll buy Costco muffins this year and thus save him the trouble.  No, alas I cannot add muffin making to the list of things which must be done.  But no, now he is bringing the Costco muffins.  

So Ed bought two varieties of Costco muffins today for us to try and on the word of a lady standing next to him in Super Store also bought some Farmer's Market muffins.   Her husband loves them.  I asked Ed if he asked the lady if her husband also liked Cheese Whiz.  He did not.   He should have. 

OK.  I'm not going to be polite.  I thought they were horrible.  Well, half-polite...that's not the adjective I originally used.

Does anyone know of any grocery store muffin which passes muster?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have never tried the muffins from Metro but their baked goods are actually pretty good.  Both the Front Street Bakery and the Premiere Moiisson stuff.  I don't know if Premiere Moisson does muffins but Front Street does.  Might be worth looking at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Does anyone know of any grocery store muffin which passes muster?

I don't care much for muffins and am certainly well outside your target area but wonder if it would help if you better described either what muffin characteristics you seek or maybe easier, what issues you found with the trial muffins. 

Too sweet (almost certainly)?  Too dense?  Too light and fluffy?  Too dry?  Too moist?  Too much fruit or other inclusions?  Not enough of the same? Too big?  Too small? 

Some specific off flavor?  Lack of an expected flavor?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I don't care much for muffins and am certainly well outside your target area but wonder if it would help if you better described either what muffin characteristics you seek or maybe easier, what issues you found with the trial muffins. 

Too sweet (almost certainly)?  Too dense?  Too light and fluffy?  Too dry?  Too moist?  Too much fruit or other inclusions?  Not enough of the same? Too big?  Too small? 

Some specific off flavor?  Lack of an expected flavor?

Of course too sweet.  Ca va sans dire.  Oddly enough the sets of muffins from two different sources had the same characteristics.  They were just too light and too fluffy and too moist for words.  And of course not enough inclusions.  The blueberries in the blueberry muffins were so far apart.  And the chocolate chips in the banana muffins were definitely not generous. 

Size was not a factor.  As for flavors...they were what Ed bought.  I was not expecting wonders...but...they were just unacceptable...to me anyway.

The years during which we built the new living room and had such extensive repairs done on the old farmhouse, we had one group of builders after another traipsing through our lives, I made at least 500 muffins.  I knew that because I completely emptied one of those 500 muffin papers cylindrical cardboard containers.  Now I liked my muffins.  So apparently did the men. 

17 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have never tried the muffins from Metro but their baked goods are actually pretty good.  Both the Front Street Bakery and the Premiere Moisson stuff.  I don't know if Premiere Moisson does muffins but Front Street does.  Might be worth looking at.

We'll try the Metro muffins.  Thanks, @ElsieD

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On Ed's suggestion we tried something which, believe it or not, has made quite a difference in the already purchased muffins.

Left a package open to the air overnight under a gauze covering to discourage all insect forms.  And we both tried the muffins this morning.  Far less light, fluffy or moist...better on all these counts.  Still not bake shop or homemade quality, but so much improved that I was quite taken aback.  

This is worth knowing....

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.