• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the WATER topic

Jason, are you thinking of Gerolsteiner?

My boyfriend and I are sparkling water whores. We buy cases of Pelligrino from Costco and at least 6 bottles of Gerolsteiner/Poland Spring a week.

We also have a Brita filter. I used to be on a Evian kick, but now I prefer Poland Spring--but we buy Ice Mountain, and it is fine.

I really hate Dasani--it's just tap water, and that water bottled by Pepsi. The name escapes me at the moment.

I grew up on bottled water- the barreled kind, as lead was reported to be in the drinking system where I grew up.

No I mean sparkling Poland Spring, the flavored kind with just a bit of lemon or lime zest flavor.

http://www.mainegoodies.com/food/polandspring

Ediot: apprently they have mandarin orange and raspberry also.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

No I mean sparkling Poland Spring, the flavored kind with just a bit of lemon or lime zest flavor.

http://www.mainegoodies.com/food/polandspring

Ediot: apprently they have mandarin orange and raspberry also.

Poland Spring is not naturally carbonated; it's CO2 added. Also, at least some years ago, the flavored waters also contained corn syrup. I tried a few sips and poured the rest down the drain. Maybe they've changed and no longer add the corn syrup. I'll have to check out a bottle tomorrow. Things have probably changed (in many ways) since they were bought out by Nestle.

I couldn't get the link to work, so tracked down this one to the same company.

Maine Goodies

I drink PUR water filtered from the tap.

I don't drink it for taste, it's merely for indulgent hydration.

When drinking water for any other reason, it's always San Pellegrino.

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

• 1 year later...

I grew up in the bottle water business (that my father had in DC/VA/MD. My fav was a us brand called Mountain Valley Water out of hot springs AK. THe water is very clean and a mineral water. It has been in the senate and on the President's table for years. In addition, we carrried all the major Eurpeon waters out there. I liked many of them and each had unique properties and tastes. I still drink Mountain Valley as well as filtered watered. I would love to make my own sparkling water ( any ideas?).

I agree that most waters are overpriced and water definitly tastes better in/out of glass bottles. Many so called naturually carbonated waters have extra carbonation added to them for shipping.