• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the WATER topic

Basildog -- Your post reminded me of how thoughtful you were when I visited your restaurant. :raz:

Basildog and I also had some time to chat.  He was thoughtful even from the beginning of the meal.  From my posts, he remembered I liked Pellegrino, and purchased and chilled two bottles for me.  My posts had further revealed I dislike background music, and that was taken into consideration as well.  :wink:

http://forums.egullet.org/ibf/index.php?s=...&f=9&t=6316&hl=

At home we drink Poland Spring from a office cooler.

As for sparklers, Pellegrino is good but pretty much standard, it has a somewhat strong sulfuric taste. I prefer Solé, but I've only had it once or twice in an actual restaurant. Perrier is still pretty decent.

Theres another sparkling water which I like that I sometimes buy thats of German origin that I occassionaly see in the supermarket, but the name eludes me.

Most of the time I drink standard no-name brand supermarket seltzer.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Developed a habit of using bottled water because sometimes I forget where I am :smile: Once, in a country that shall remain nameless, I deligently avoided slipup in using water which was not opened from a bottle in front of us, only to have ordered Coke - which came with ice -- That small slip caused three days of grief within 48 hours :angry:

anil

My favorite sparkling is Topo Chico from Mexico...much more spirited than the usually available Perrier. I used to drink Artesian but haven't seen it here in several years.

I generally prefer bottled still to tap but find it extremely hard to differentiate past that point, so can't say I have a preference.

Celine

Favorite Waters? Why Alice, of course. :biggrin:

I do Brita-filtered at home, when I drink plain water at all. Aside from that it's normally plain Oakland/Berkeley tap water for tea. Yes, I know the filtered would be better. But my Brita pitcher doesn't hold enough to fill my kettle, so I just use all tap rather than go halfway.

--V

I just drink London tap water at home. I have a Brita jug that I used to use but the hassle factor of filling it up and waiting for it to filter enough for me to fill a glass (yes I'm lazy in the extreme) made me just revert back to plain tap water which isn't that bad. At work I drink whatever it is in the bottle on the water cooler.

Often I buy a bottle of Highland Spring / Evian / Volvic / whatever on the way to the gym or somewhere and somehow never fail to be surprised that it tastes so much better than what I usually drink.

Brita at home, Vintage Mandarin Orange at work, Pellegrino in restaurants, Badoit when I'm in France and it's cheap enough to chug. :biggrin:

I dislike Evian - that 'silky' effect Soba mentioned doesn't work for me. Deer Park is my favorite bottled flat; I used to lug home the 2-gallon dispenser before I discovered Brita.

Is this Thread for real?

yup.

knowing that the bottled and filtered water industry is huge in the US (at the very least), and that different bottled/filtered/city waters have unique tastes, i don't see why this would come as a surprise. i often discussions with people at least once a month arguing poland spring vs. evian.

.....Theres another sparkling water which I like that I sometimes buy thats of German origin that I occassionaly see in the supermarket, but the name eludes me......

You might be thinking of Gerolsteiner, others are Appolinaris, Rosbacher and/or Fachinger (the last one actually has medicinal value)

Peter

It's obvious this isn't a French board. In France, everyone has his or her favourite water. Comtrex is good because it cleans you out. Vittel is nice in restaurants. And the Italian water Panna (made by the San Pellegrino people) actually tastes -- strange as it may sound -- wetter to me than other waters. :rolleyes:

I really like Gerolsteiner sparkling mineral water from Germany which Trader Joes carries. It has a nice mineral flavor. I also like S. Pellegino, and Costco carries it now too, so that's a bonus. At home I also drink a lot of filtered tap water.