• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Yes, bacon really is killing us"

liuzhou

Long article, interesting.

Unless I missed it (I could have), I can't find an analysis of the 26% increase in bowel cancer linked to nitrosamines. 

-What is the amount of bacon consumption needed to trigger this risk? Certainly not two slices a month.

-Is this independent of family history/genetic predisposition?  Or are those with bad genes the ones who can't eat bacon?

• Like 1

" A few weeks after publishing the report, the WHO issued a clarification insisting it was not telling consumers to stop eating processed meat." Hmmmm.... an order of both bacon both ways? You can't have it both ways. 

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

A current meat packer's "hack" is to use nitrate -rich celery juice and then say "no added nitrates" on their corned beef or whatever.

Or worse, call it "uncured" which is a load of...

• Like 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

A current meat packer's "hack" is to use nitrate -rich celery juice and then say "no added nitrates" on their corned beef or whatever.

Because when it is natural, it couldn’t possibly be linked to cancer !

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This could be part of the problem. 

“thick-cut from a local butcher”

Here we tend to use pork belly. 

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The sobering side story is how the less affluent are most at risk for preservative caused cancers.    Bacon is not on our regular rotation, and I've switched to salt pork, pancetta and guanciale for cooking.   However, these are costly alternatives and not readily available in many stores.    A re-occuring story of many food categories as well as health education and services.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.