• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does pink curing salt make meat taste better and can you recommend any book-recipes?

eugenep

I saw an episode of Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke on PBS and he cured a pork shoulder in wet brine with instacure/prague powerder #1 for a week before smoking it 

I was going to buy the Prague Powder #1 on amazon but wanted to seek advice from the professionals that know more about this stuff  

I've cured salmon to make gravlax with regular salt 

But does curing with pink salt lead to more flavor? corned beef brisket, cured with nitrite, sure tastes better than a normal salt brined brisket so I was just curious 

Are there any books that use pink curing salt that you recommend - for BBQ or charcuterie - for home cooks? 

thank you 

Please be careful using pink salt!  
This book was quite popular on the forum for some time:

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing. It is by Michael Ruhlman and others

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog