• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why are tart pans fluted?

chef koo

I know you can get non-fluted pans, and ones that are perforated, but the vast majority of the ones on the market are fluted. I can't think of a practical reason why that would be. If anything, it seems disadvantageous. It's more labour intensive to line with the dough, they seem more complicated to produce, harder to clean.

Is it for the structural integrity? I mean, how much structural stress could a tart be under, where that fluting would actually make a difference? As far as I can tell, it's just for the look of it.

Edited by chef koo (log)
  • Like 1

bork bork bork

I think fluted sides hold the dough in place slightly better than straight ones do.  I don't think the production is any more complicated - roll your dough, press it in, trim the edges - but cleaning is a bigger pain if the tarts don't come out cleanly.

OTOH, who ever said pastry was supposed to be practical?  Sometimes it IS just about looks!

• Like 3

I sometimes wonder if it has to do with the amount of dough at the bottom edge of the pan - you roll it or pat it into place and it's possible that you can make that join thicker (stronger)? This sounds like a question for Kitchen Arts and Letters!  Or Nick Malgieri.  (I was going to say Fred Bridge or Natch Waxman but sadly they are no longer with us :(

• Like 1

Nick doesn't have much to say:

"...a tart is baked in a straight-sided pan which may or may not be fluted; a pie is baked in a sloping-sided pan."

IMG_7256.thumb.jpeg.b0ca1aee61c688bd67fa24426e98b3fc.jpeg

Rose likes fluted as well.

Basically, it appears as if the difference comes down to appearance of the finished product.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?