• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover Pork Butt bones ... what to do?

Johntodd

Hi!

I recently got into sausagemaking.  I now have a few leftover pork shoulder (butt) bones.  Since I'm not very good at trimming, these bones are very meaty.

What to do with them?  Boil for broth?  Would they make a good (but inauthentic) char siu?  BBQ and harvest the meat?

I'm an experienced home cook of many years.  No one has ever died from my cooking.  ;)

Thanks!

-John

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Chop them up and make Tonkotsu stock. Best use of pork bones 🤗

I am not sure how you want to turn bones into char siu (authentic or not). 

Because they still have a lot of meat on them.

4 minutes ago, Johntodd said:

Because they still have a lot of meat on them.

I can’t judge your bone-to-meat ratio, but if you’d want to venture into char siu territory, you’d want to separate it first. Which defies the reason to leave it on the bone and not turn it into sausage (a rather forgiving product in terms if texture of the ingredients pre-grind) in the first place…

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

I might consider roasting them, or smoking them a bit and making collard greens,  i planted a garden and have abundance of large leaves that i considered.

That‘s actually a pretty good idea: cure them, smoke them and then make killer greens or beans …

• Like 1

I roast meaty pork bones then make a shallow stock with a few vegetables minced. Celery, onion. 3-4 hours. Meat that falls off the bones are tender. In a nice rich stock. 

Odd for some but I make boudin in casing and scrapple. Boudin uses rice and scrapple uses polenta/grits. Both need a 1/4 pound of chicken livers per 2 pounds of minced pork meat. (liver optional)

If that's not a thing desired, (understood), use roasted in collard greens, or the stock in soups. Undecided? freeze the bones if you have the freezer space. Or make the stock and into 1/4 pints for the freezer. Use in beans, soups, etc. Don't waste such good flavor. 

• Like 2

Good news everyone!

I was making my un-famous 79-bean ham soup.

I used one of the meaty butt bones to make the stock.  PC for 1 hour and it's the best soup I ever made!

(I PC'd the other ingredients separately.)

Thanks!

-John

• Like 4