• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating, hiking and driving around Southern Iceland

Thank you so much.
I was wondering if you would try the world famous Icelandic hot dog!  I’m so glad you did so I could learn a little bit more about it. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

Thank you Kenneth!!!!!  I know it's a lot of work to take us along 😬!!!

Where are we going next?  🛫 I need to know what kind of clothes to pack 😁

For the next trip, pack sunglasses, sunscreen and a 2nd stomach.... Penang, Malaysia! One of the street food capitals of SE Asia...

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@KennethT 

Wow .  Soon ?

So looking forward to your trips

All are Exceptional 

S.E. are Exceptional Plus 

Since many of eG'er 

will bee along 

PepoBismol  

futures just spiked !

Coming this Xmas/NYs to an eGullet near you...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Since many of eG'er 

will bee along 

PepoBismol  

futures just spiked !

Oh punkin - don't perpetuate a stereotype ;)

Yes also very much looking forward to future adventures. Truthfully I did not watch the videos - I just prefer to look at still images and imagine (no not a control freak at all, at all)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks ever so much, Kenneth and wife.

I looked up Chia Seed Porridge and came up with wild items. I'm looking forward to your Test Porridges. Along with ratings. 🤣

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, KennethT said:

Yeah, I read about that...

And none of the hikers' injuries were serious, except for the tourist who had to be airlifted.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, sartoric said:

Thanks from me too @KennethT. I’m unlikely to get to Iceland in this current life, so I appreciate seeing it through your eyes. Looking forward to Penang at Christmas.

And we will await your excellent as always report :)

1 minute ago, heidih said:

And we will await your excellent as always report :)

Maybe you misunderstood, it’s KennethT going to Penang at Christmas. 
Unfortunately I have no travel plans on the horizon.

1 minute ago, sartoric said:

Maybe you misunderstood, it’s KennethT going to Penang at Christmas. 
Unfortunately I have no travel plans on the horizon.

oops ;)

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Thanks from me too @KennethT. I’m unlikely to get to Iceland in this current life, so I appreciate seeing it through your eyes. Looking forward to Penang at Christmas.

Thanks... makes sense - Iceland is probably about as far away from you as you could get (other than the North Pole!).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Thanks... makes sense - Iceland is probably about as far away from you as you could get (other than the North Pole!).

She could always visit New Zealand, I hear they are about the same.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Without the Arctic char and Langoustines though. 
I have been to NZ, but not the far south where glaciers lie. It is on the fridge list. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

We spent about a week or so in south island New Zealand in Dec. 2019 (check it out in the New Zealand dining forum).  It is gorgeous and definitely worth visiting - we barely scratched the surface of it, but it's a totally different experience/scenery than Iceland.  They're both uniquely wonderful.

6 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Sounds like a great trip, @KennethT.  You could have bought langoustines and cooked them on hot lava just a stone's throw from the volcano.

There are volcanic hot springs in Hakone, Japan, where employees cook eggs in the mineral-heavy water and sell them at stands. The shells are black and pitted due, I guess, to a reaction between minerals in the shell and in the water. The eggs have a salty taste.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 7/29/2022 at 11:54 AM, heidih said:

So is your wife trying to recreate her fave breakfast chia bowl at home?

I have a few favorites in rotation. If you experiment in a new posting thread I will chime in. I have a dozen snap-top jars for various condiments and chia breakfast puddings. This week I'm freezing mango and sheets of puree. --ginger, mango, lemon. I'm not vegan or a hippie but I like it with a bit of dried fruit and nut granola and skyr yogurt. Soaked overnight in coconut water or chocolate milk. 4-5 variations in rotation. 7-8am snack--that is all I need most days skipping breakfast. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 1.54.17 PM.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kayb said:

There are volcanic hot springs in Hakone, Japan, where employees cook eggs in the mineral-heavy water and sell them at stands. The shells are black and pitted due, I guess, to a reaction between minerals in the shell and in the water. The eggs have a salty taste.

They have those in Iceland also. There's a small town that revolves around hot springs and tourists can both cook eggs in the water and they also bake bread in the hot steam. Sulfury bread. Yum.

But the hot springs are great for soaking after a long hike. Our first hotel had a spring on their property and they fed it into a series of natural pools for bathing/soaking.

PXL_20220629_142808818.thumb.jpg.b26e733bd9980f38410b5de5bf4cfd6f.jpg

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, sartoric said:

Without the Arctic char and Langoustines though. 
I have been to NZ, but not the far south where glaciers lie. It is on the fridge list. 

However New Zealand probably has hot dogs.

• Haha 1