• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen appliances that are noisy: do you use/need hearing protection?

On 6/27/2022 at 10:50 PM, gfweb said:

I use my cuisinart miniprep ( https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2AMR-Mini-Prep-Processor-Metallic/dp/B00DGO3UUY/ref=asc_df_B00DGO3UUY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167151781903&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11454070315506408652&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007517&hvtargid=pla-273133840249&psc=1 )  more than my Braun stick blender.  This little beast shows up on cooking shows all the time..Pepin has one, Flay has one.

It cant homogenize a pot full of soup though

Many years ago I had a Cuisinart mini processor and gave it away because it was incredibly loud and annoying--like a high-pitched chain saw. Our dog would run away and hide when I used it. Is this one quieter? If so I may buy one.

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

I just looked at the reviews on Amazon and more than one reviewer commented on the noise. As one reviewer said:

"I would recommend wearing ear plugs during use because the noise level when grinding or chopping is very very loud and high-pitched. Remove pets and children from the room to protect their hearing."

So probably not on my wish list. I'll look for another. 

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

2 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Many years ago I had a Cuisinart mini processor and gave it away because it was incredibly loud and annoying--like a high-pitched chain saw. Our dog would run away and hide when I used it. Is this one quieter? If so I may buy one.

mine is quiet, and in any event its just used for a few moments

the "mini prep"

2 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I just looked at the reviews on Amazon and more than one reviewer commented on the noise. As one reviewer said:

"I would recommend wearing ear plugs during use because the noise level when grinding or chopping is very very loud and high-pitched. Remove pets and children from the room to protect their hearing."

So probably not on my wish list. I'll look for another. 

not remotely my experience

I actually wear ear plugs when grinding coffee; don't use the mini prep much, but the Blendtec also is noisy enough for me to pop in a pair of high quality plugs.

These are my concert ear plugs...https://us.loopearplugs.com/

And these are my kitchen ear plugs...https://www.etymotic.com/product/er20hd/

They pop in and fit much better than the foam junk.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I actually wear ear plugs when grinding coffee; don't use the mini prep much, but the Blendtec also is noisy enough for me to pop in a pair of high quality plugs.

These are my concert ear plugs...https://us.loopearplugs.com/

And these are my kitchen ear plugs...https://www.etymotic.com/product/er20hd/

They pop in and fit much better than the foam junk.

I use ear plugs when making nut butters in the vitamix. That takes long enough to be a real hearing loss threat. The little bamix is quiet. My girlfriend uses it in the same room when I'm on zoom calls. 

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

31 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I use ear plugs when making nut butters in the vitamix. That takes long enough to be a real hearing loss threat. The little bamix is quiet. My girlfriend uses it in the same room when I'm on zoom calls. 

My Blendtec has a sound reduction enclosure, which helps.  When I was an undergraduate we were purchasing a new homogenizer for the lab.  When we had a demonstration from the company, someone remarked the device made a lot of noise.  The salesman replied "Noise?  I don't hear any noise?"  He was smiling as he said it.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

49 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My Blendtec has a sound reduction enclosure, which helps.  When I was an undergraduate we were purchasing a new homogenizer for the lab.  When we had a demonstration from the company, someone remarked the device made a lot of noise.  The salesman replied "Noise?  I don't hear any noise?"  He was smiling as he said it.

To him, the sweet sound of a sale. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

mostly the aged

What's that you say, Sonny? :P

In my case it was too many live shows, not enough ear protection. Though oddly I hear mechanical noises exaggeratedly well, compared to say... human voices. If I'm walking in a big store, all I can hear is the HVAC system and trying to talk to me is a waste of breath. I will use my full-sized Cuisinart before my GF's mini-Cuise chopper gizmo, purely because it is so much quieter. And my Vitamix gets used almost exclusively for crushing ice, because I can't stand to listen to the damned thing for more than a few seconds at a time.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My Gaggia Brera Super-Automatic Espresso Machine is the noisiest machine in the kitchen when grinding the dose, a close secnd would be the Ninja Creami

p

I have a cheap baby chopper that screams high pitch with barely anything in it. Celery, garlic, onion. A chunky salsa I want less chunky. 

Sent it to the barn kitchen where the grills are. Rarely use it. So light weight you have to hold it while pulsing or it will topple forward. Even the office tape dispenser people figured out to fill them with sand for weight. 

I have a Bunn commercial LPG for grinding coffee. So quiet. My 'sweet baby' Cuisinart LittleProPlus discontinued in the early 90's but made in Japan and purrs like a kitten. I have four. Two back-ups new-in-box. E-bay. 

Just made a salad slaw in seconds an hour ago. Miso sesame dressing. With the side shoot I could keep going and make many salads for a big crowd. A shame it does need one more disk for a larger 'chifinade/julienne' (sp). DH does like that chore so not a big deal. 

My Blendtec is the commercial one I have set into my countertop. It does a good job so fast and not a pitch that is annoying. 

IMG_3628.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I see that Cuisinart has the Little Pro Plus chopper/juicer for 69.95 on their website. Is that the same as what you have?

Nope.  Its this one. In black.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2ABC-Processor-Brushed-Chrome/dp/B0000645YM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=mini+prep&qid=1657416770&sr=8-3

17 hours ago, Annie_H said:

I have a Bunn commercial LPG for grinding coffee. So quiet. My 'sweet baby' Cuisinart LittleProPlus discontinued in the early 90's but made in Japan and purrs like a kitten. I have four. Two back-ups new-in-box. E-bay. 

I see that Cuisinart has a Little Pro Plus chopper/juicer for 69.95 on their website. Is that the same as what you have? Pretty red color too.

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

On their site yes. But not sure why because you can't purchase the one I have. Even the 'parts' list are mostly out of stock. It does say 69$ but no buy button. This is mine...

-About ten years ago, I was using my original one and a thumb sized piece of ginger got stuck on one of the blades and liquid flew out and all over the kitchen. By the time I figured out the problem DH went on e-bay and purchased a buy-it-now NIB for 50$. Usually go for around 100$. Since that event, I've picked up a couple more back-ups.

(I did not see a red one)

cuisinart-little pro plus 2 2.png