• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

Added a couple of sentences

On 7/10/2022 at 2:02 PM, TdeV said:

The only CSA I signed up for is from my florist. Every 2 weeks, I collect an arrangement from the farmers' market. The arrangement fits in a simple glass vase which is wrapped in newspaper, then placed in a plastic one gallon bucket. Next time I go back to the market, I give him back the bucket and vase.

I don't do any vegetable CSA because I like neither radishes nor turnips. 🙄

I don't like radishes or turnips either except for hakurei turnips.  They are small, white turnips and don't have that strong, bitter taste.  They are delicious.  I think you'd be pleasantly surprised if you were to try them.

The way my CSA operates is that before the season starts, they send you a list of what they produce.  You rate everything according to your preferences on a scale of 1 to 5.  Thus, 1 means don't ever send me this, 5 means I love the stuff, while a three means send it sometimes.  A few days before delivery they send you a list of what you will be getting based on your preferences.  You are allowed to switch something on your list to something not on your favourite list with whatever else they have available.  In my first basket, having previously said I would like parsley 'sometimes" I switched it for romaine lettuce as I did not need parsley.  That system works well.  I will never be offered a radish or a turnip.  After reading @liamsaunt's post I'll add that you can buy extras for an additional charge.

ElsieD

ElsieD

On 7/10/2022 at 2:02 PM, TdeV said:

The only CSA I signed up for is from my florist. Every 2 weeks, I collect an arrangement from the farmers' market. The arrangement fits in a simple glass vase which is wrapped in newspaper, then placed in a plastic one gallon bucket. Next time I go back to the market, I give him back the bucket and vase.

I don't do any vegetable CSA because I like neither radishes nor turnips. 🙄

I don't like radishes or turnips either except for hakurei turnips.  They are small, white turnips and don't have that strong, bitter taste.  They are delicious.  I think you'd be pleasantly surprised if you were to try them.

The way my CSA operates is that before the season starts, they send you a list of what they produce.  You rate everything according to your preferences on a scale of 1 to 5.  Thus, 1 means don't ever send me this, 5 means I love the stuff, while a three means send it sometimes.  A few days before delivery they send you a list of what you will be getting based on your preferences.  You are allowed to switch something on your list to something not on your favourite list with whatever else they have available.  In my first basket, having previously said I would like parsley 'sometimes" I switched it for romaine lettuce as I did not need parsley.  That system works well.  I will never be offered a radish or a turnip.