• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

@gfron1 thanks for your links and perspective as a chef who honorably sources and tells truthful origin stories not fantastical promo.

I read the articles yesterday morning and did not post though I had a lot of thoughts.

My first reaction was "messy over ambitious". When you put everything but the kitchen sunk into the pot it gives nobody a forward looking perspective. That last bit as a "clever" summation about Barber saying he tells stories not facts was overly cute. 

I'll get Vespertine out of the way first - I can't abide the architect or the developer and the whole way it played out was no surprise. Those types flock together The toxic culture described needs to be addressed separately and not with policy statements but actual, by example, on the ground change. 

The link to Laura Reily is in my opinion the crux of the false sourcing scenario. Once that type of behavior is exposed it horridly paints good people with the same liar's brush. Yes as the articles noted - farming is HARD and guarantees are few. Mother Nature is a variable and often hard taskmaster. Not all sweetness and light. Liars screw it up for the honest people. The change to sustainable practice is a process not a whoopee look at our clever plan thing. Plus we have existing chains of culture that are inclusive. Like https://www.southernfoodways.org/

Which leads to the difficult intersection of non-profits, fundraising, and associations with profit based businesses. Money can be a poison. I've seen the drama working for a non profit when the Mission Statement gets completely eclipsed by fundraising Yes you have to kiss-ass the big donors and events can overshadow education & mentoring. It is hard to draw the lines and it takes strong OUTSIDE non invested trustees and directors to be objective.

heidih

heidih

@gfron1 thanks for your links and perspective as a chef who honorably sources and tells truthful origin stories not fantastical promo.

I read the articles yesterday morning and did not post though I had a lot of thoughts.

My first reaction was "messy over ambitious". When you put everything but the kitchen sunk into the pot it gives nobody a forward looking perspective. That last bit as a "clever" summation about Barber saying he tells stories not facts was overly cute. 

I'll get Vespertine out of the way first - I can't abide the architect and the whole way it played out was no surprise. Those types flock together The toxic culture described needs to be addressed separately and not with policy statements but actual, by example, on the ground change. 

The link to Laura Reily is in my opinion the crux of the false sourcing scenario. Once that type of behavior is exposed it horridly paints good people with the same liar's brush. Yes as the articles noted - farming is HARD and guarantees are few. Mother Nature is a variable and often hard taskmaster. Not all sweetness and light. Liars screw it up for the honest people. The change to sustainable practice is a process not a whoopee look at our clever plan thing. Plus we have existing chains of culture that are inclusive. Like https://www.southernfoodways.org/

Which leads to the difficult intersection of non-profits, fundraising, and associations with profit based businesses. Money can be a poison. I've seen the drama working for a non profit when the Mission Statement gets completely eclipsed by fundraising Yes you have to kiss-ass the big donors and events can overshadow education & mentoring. It is hard to draw the lines and it takes strong OUTSIDE non invested trustees and directors to be objective.