• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Vegetables: The Discussion

JoNorvelleWalker

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

P.S.  Why should a blanch in boiling water have better heat transfer than steam?

Correct, it is density of the medium. Water has a far higher density than steam, and it is basically the molecules that transfer the heat. So, the higher the amount of molecule, the higher the energy transfer (at the same heat level, of course).

A steam is much preferred, efficiency aside.  Blanch/boil will pull nutrients into the water and out of your veg (surely you do not eat them just for their great taste alone!?).  Steam will retain a far higher %.

Or we can just be rabbits and eat everything raw.....or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

A steam is much preferred, efficiency aside.  Blanch/boil will pull nutrients into the water and out of your veg (surely you do not eat them just for their great taste alone!?).  Steam will retain a far higher %.

At a cooking time of 2-3 min I would doubt it makes much of a difference.

15 hours ago, Duvel said:

Correct, it is density of the medium. Water has a far higher density than steam, and it is basically the molecules that transfer the heat. So, the higher the amount of molecule, the higher the energy transfer (at the same heat level, of course).

Maybe someday I will learn to post while sober.  Till then this makes no sense to me.  Sure, water has a higher density than steam, but water cannot get hotter than its boiling point.  As anyone who owns an APO can attest, steam can get far hotter.

Furthermore steam cooks by latent heat of condensation.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

To me, green beans are great with salt, garlic and chili oil.  Get them nice and scorched like folks say with salt and garlic.  Finish with chili oil.  Get some chili flakes and whatever other seasonings you want, get the oil nice and hot, then pour it over the seasonings in a heat safe bowl.  All the flavors will come out in the oil.  Drizzle that all over your green beans.  Low calorie is overrated :).

Check out my list of unique recipes I have collected from all over!

Local Food Recipes by Country