• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duke's Mayo

Martin Fisher

I just ordered a new batch of Duke's from Target. 🙂

Currently $4.49.

Screenshot (1).png

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Walmart currently has it for $4.22! 

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

36 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Getting a little extravagent there, huh @Martin Fisher?!

Yeah, I've bought it for years now...can't live without it. 🙂

• Like 2

Our favorite nearby supermarket recently started carrying Duke's, and a mainly Japanese "Oriental food" store carries Kewpie, so it's a good mayo life here in GR.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I can attest that it's good for anything you'd use commercial mayo for. There's less of a difference between, say, Duke's and Hellman's (or Best Foods) than there is between something like Kewpie and normal North American commercial mayo brands. I like Duke's and it's my brand, but if I couldn't get it, I'd just use something else and feel just fine about it. This is coming from someone who used to shlep jars of it from North Carolina to Ohio and Illinois when I'd come home to visit family. I don't know that it was really worth the trouble, apart from connecting me to my "roots." (My mom used Kraft mayo, and I never really ate it as a kid). But I do own a Duke's t-shirt and tote bag. So...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have never seen Duke's locally for sale.

It was available here until the supply-chain crisis.

• Sad 1

Just now, Martin Fisher said:

It was available here until the supply-chain crisis.

But here in NJ I've never seen Duke's in a store back before forever.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Your go to uses? Not just sandwiches?

Mayo is a staple in low-carb eating...so I wouldn't know where to begin listing the many ways I use it and homemade mayo. 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But here in NJ I've never seen Duke's in a store back before forever.

It was introduced here fairly recently.

Mrs. Filbert's was available here for decades, it was great years ago.

I think it was also made by Sauer, but I don't think they still make it.

Edited by Martin Fisher (log)

I first learned about Duke's from @btbyrd on the Chefsteps forum...several years ago now.

Edited by Martin Fisher (log)

9 hours ago, btbyrd said:

You’re not a true fan until you order a 4-gallon case of Heavy Duty Duke’s from a restaurant supply place.

My niece and nephew in Provincetown can attest to this; of course, they have a sandwich shop/general store to run.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have never seen Duke's locally for sale.

Hideous Acme just started carrying it in DE.  Food Lion has it too

• Like 1

Target does indeed have Dukes

Ill try to remember

when I work up my next order

Id like to find out if its the same

as the   discontinued  TJ's " Real Mayo "

trader-joes-mayonnaise.thumb.jpg.e853152c28462ee228ace9578993b811.jpg

after all , TJ's doesn't make its own stuff .

and they no longer , for quite some time now , carry the above.

• Like 2

Doing a tiny bit of research on Duke's (owner by Sauer Brands), which seems to have gained a broader distribution recently than it ever had, I guess this should come as no surprise...

After 132 years of private ownership, The C.F. Sauer Company was acquired in 2019 by Falfurrias Capital Partners of Charlotte, North Carolina.[5]

https://sauers.com/

I'm not a big fan of capital acquisitions, but not much to do about it...

https://falfurriascapital.com/portfolio-companies/

• Sad 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I'd never heard of Duke's before I moved here. It seems to be a local favorite. I bought a jar and honestly, I can't tell the difference between Duke's and Hellmann's. Duke's only seems to come in the 32oz size which is about a year's supply for me so I usually get the smaller Hellmann's.  

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

1 hour ago, chileheadmike said:

I'd never heard of Duke's before I moved here. It seems to be a local favorite. I bought a jar and honestly, I can't tell the difference between Duke's and Hellmann's. Duke's only seems to come in the 32oz size which is about a year's supply for me so I usually get the smaller Hellmann's.  

They definitely come in all sorts of sizes; mostly available on line.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My question on uses was kinda dumb. What my peabrain and not my typing fingers were wondering was how often once you open a big jar. I will admit to a 28 fl oz jar of McCormick Mayonesa con Limon in the fridge. I am meticulous about clean utensils in there as I don't use it often.

Ă—
Ă—