• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerala

Kerala

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

@KeralaHow do people make the batter for dosa/etc.  They're ground, right?  Is it typical to do it by hand or do people have the mechanized wet grinders like this ?

Oh, you're asking a person who eats this food but never makes it. So I asked an expert, my mother. Bless her, it's my last night in India on this trip, and she offered to make me dosa as I was asking.

We used to grind the grain by hand using an aatukallu.

Thankfully these granite mortar and pestle are mainly ornamental now, as they require a huge amount of manual labour. We have one in the house, but it's no longer used.

In our house in India we soak the urad daal and rice then use a mixi or a grinder like the one you linked. Electromechanical, in any case.

My sisters in the UK use preground flours, readily available in Asian shops in most cities. I'd be lying if I said I could taste the difference.

Kerala

Kerala

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

@KeralaHow do people make the batter for dosa/etc.  They're ground, right?  Is it typical to do it by hand or do people have the mechanized wet grinders like this ?

Oh, you're asking a person who eats this food but never makes it. So I asked an expert, my mother. Bless her, it's my last night in India on this trip, and she offered to make me dosa as I was asking.

We used to grind the grain by hand using an aatukallu.

Thankfully these granite mortar and pestle are mainly ornamental now, as they required a huge amount of manual labour.

In our house in India we soak the urad daal and rice then use a mixi or a grinder like the one you linked. Electromechanical, in any case.

My sisters in the UK use preground flours, readily available in Asian shops in most cities. I'd be lying if I said I could taste the difference.