• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greetings Everyone

I'm a bartender, but unlike the various culinary levels, titles, and specialties within cooking (which each mean something specific), "Bartender" covers everything from shot & beer no cocktail recipes, to full craft cocktail bar every syrup, tincture, infusion, and fresh squeezed juices/cut garnishes from scratch, hand carved 300 lb blocks of ice, a few hundred classic recipes memorized, a proper tool supply, and a few dozen methods to make them all.

There seems to be an issue (not saying with whom, but a some percentage of bartenders in general) with the definition of mixologist being reserved for people who 'serve drinks' (primary focus), and not 'serve people'. 

I disagree. A mixologist can be 100% great at the craft of the cocktail, and still be 100% about the customers' experience, just as a Chef can be a great chef and love delighting the diners in the restaurant, and even coming out occasionally to view the room and interact. 

So, without further ado, I'm a NY NY born, bred, trained and experienced advanced bartender / bar manager and mixologist of retirement age (living in Florida) but still working, and always learning.

It's good to be here. Looking forward to reading some posts.

• Like 3

No weinoo, but I won't be providing anything specific as I was twice doxxed in two different work locations which amounts to repeated cyberstalking with intent to do harm. (So, a word to the wise.)

Just now, Suthnautr said:

No weinoo, but I won't be providing anything specific as I was twice doxxed in two different work locations which amounts to repeated cyberstalking with intent to do harm. (So, a word to the wise.)

Ahhh, okay.  Sorry to hear that.  

I tend to not worry so much, since no one gives a shit as to what I have to say or write.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Welcome! The bit about hand carving 300 pound blocks of ice caught my eye. Was that strictly for decoration, or did you somehow use the ice sculptures to affect / process the drinks? (I'm imaging some exotic channel through which the liquid flows, to ensure it's at the exact temperature. That's probably a silly image.)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

19 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Welcome! The bit about hand carving 300 pound blocks of ice caught my eye. Was that strictly for decoration, or did you somehow use the ice sculptures to affect / process the drinks? (I'm imaging some exotic channel through which the liquid flows, to ensure it's at the exact temperature. That's probably a silly image.)

Smithy, that was the one part I never had to deal with, though another mixologist I met in a Ybor City hotel told me what a pain they were in a Chicago bar he worked in bringing them up from the basement 3x a day.

I'd be more excited dealing with 150~ish year old 22" square frozen solid blocks of unfiltered natural lake water. That would be awesome. But, the modern machines he used are these: ## Polar Temp IBM300 300 lb. Clear Ice Block Maker - 220V, 4.6 cu. ft.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/polar-temp-ibm300-300-lb-clear-ice-block-maker-220v-4-6-cu-ft/622IBM300Z.html

I remember skating on thick, clear ice when I was a kid though, when it was still relatively unpolluted.

Right now I'm happy with large, round, cracked, pebbled, and crushed as my available forms... though I find Masahiro Urushido's "The Art of the Japanese Cocktail"'s hand chipped perfect spheres intriguing. 

16569878916442053531073287553437.jpg

• Like 2