• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

July 4 2022

kayb

I could have sworn someone started a topic for this, but I couldn't find it, so...

Celebrating Independence Day early today, as the kids have other plans Monday. Pork steaks are in the sous vide, liberally sprinkled with BBQ rub. I'll be making potato salad, slaw and baked beans and cooking some fresh corn. Blackberries cooked for cobbler. I'll throw the steaks on the grill to sear after while, and grill a couple of tenderloins for good measure. 

What's y'all's plans?

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Kimchi burgers are planned, but since it's not a holiday here in MX, I have workers scheduled for Monday and if they are working near the grill, we'll  switch to something indoors, but nothing specific in mind.  

• Like 4

With Covid numbers up so nobody I know is doing  gatherings but we can still be festive solo. Can't get to market until tomorrow but my plan is:

Sausages browed in pan (no grilll) - will see what they have that looks interesting

Hot sweet mustard (I'll mix up)

Corn - on cob if the ears at store are not that small kerneled insipid sweet stuff. If they suck I'll do a salad with good canned corn , tomato, red onion, dressed ith @David Lebovitz's tarragon https://davidlebovitz.substack.com/p/tarragon-vinaigrette or cilantro if tarragon looks lame

Bagged Asian salad (a once a year craving)

Good cherries and spiced chocolate chip cookies (promised to some workers so I'll snag a few for myself)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Kimchi burgers are planned, but since it's not a holiday here in MX, I have workers scheduled for Monday and if they are working near the grill, we'll  switch to something indoors, but nothing specific in mind.  

kimchi as topping or added in? Beef? Do you bun it with a locally available bread or eat nekkid?

23 hours ago, heidih said:

kimchi as topping or added in? Beef? Do you bun it with a locally available bread or eat nekkid?

I use ground pork for burgers here; personal preference.  Bun it on toasted Bimbo rolls (think Wonder bread), with a squeeze of gochujang (I stock up in US or pay the piper here when I see it).  A local organic shop stocks locally made kimchi which we mound on top of the grilled burgers.  

bimbo.jpg

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 6

Not feeling terribly patriotic this year, but we are going to friends for an outside celebration.  He's got a new grill so hamburgers and hot dogs.  Mr. Kim was asked to make BBQ, so I made some slaw and sauce.  Also requested was "my" queso!  These girls have been eating it since they were toddlers and in spite of being 20-somethings now and having much expanded palates, they still love the neon orange, Velveeta and ground beef/sausage, and salsa dip.  

• Like 4

Queso:

1-IMG_0001.jpg.8efe4662ea5310609b4a50e4f9979f31.jpg

Mr. Kim's BBQ and my slaw:

1-IMG_0003.jpg.7602815b220ffa19e4cce732b1b43635.jpg

It was a good time.  Our host is Mr. Kim's best friend since high school and was his best man.  His brother and two of his sisters and various "kids" (all actual adults now) were there.  All of our kids grew up together - the older ones babysitting the younger ones.  We are considered family and we haven't seen everyone in a long time, of course.  The other food included hot dogs and hamburgers, fruit salad, broccoli, the incomparable family potato salad (secret recipe and the only kind I actually like) and some terrible corn that my grandmother would have called "cow corn" - tough and tasteless and rendered worse by being boiled for about 20 minutes.  

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

the incomparable family potato salad (secret recipe and the only kind I actually like)

Oh, come now! Can you really leave us hanging like this?

• Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

Oh, come now! Can you really leave us hanging like this?

😄  I don't know what it is about this potato salad that makes it not only acceptable, but delicious to me.  Everything is cut very small - the potatoes the size of one of my fingernails, the sweet pickles and egg are minced fine.  No raw onion - just onion powder.  Not a ton of mustard (which is odd because I love heavy mustard in egg salad).  One of the reasons that I'm not a big fan of potato salad (I don't hate it) is that I don't care for cold potatoes (unless they are raw, which is a whole 'nother topic).  No celery, but a little celery seed (or salt - hard to tell).  This family doesn't really season things - they don't even offer salt and pepper - so no pepper (which I load up on when I get some home).  Here's a picture:

1-IMG_0013.jpg.f82ebf45cc8085966f3c27b002cab5b8.jpg

And it's not just me and the family liking it - Mr. Kim loves it and Jessica has loved it since she was a toddler and ate NO other potato salad.  

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

46 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

One of the reasons that I'm not a big fan of potato salad (I don't hate it) is that I don't care for cold potatoes (unless they are raw, which is a whole 'nother topic). 

I'm listening.....

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 minute ago, Darienne said:

I'm listening.....

I've probably mentioned it somewhere at eG before, but I LOVE raw potatoes.  I won't just bite into one like an apple (I have some sense), but if I'm slicing them for scalloped potatoes or for fries, I can't resist a few.  I especially love them when they're cold and have been soaking in ice water.  My mom was a working single mom and I was a latchkey kid for a few years and she would slice potatoes for fries the night before and soak them in water in the fridge to save time the next day.  I often would eat my portion raw, cold, and crisp as an after-school snack!  I've tried jicama, but it doesn't quite match potatoes.  

• Like 3

@Kim Shook  Me too!!  I can't resist sneaking pieces of potato when I am cutting them for anything.  Just a sprinkle of salt and sweet crunch... Yum!  Especially Yukon Golds, delish.  So glad to know I'm not alone.  😁

• Like 1

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!