• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating and Hiking Around Southern Iceland: A Taste

5 hours ago, curls said:

Gorgeous picture and landscape!

Are you planning to enjoy some of the geothermal pools/springs?

We already did. Our hotel has a natural thermal spring that we enjoyed when we first arrived. I had planned to use it every day after returning from hiking but both Thursday and yesterday were just too late 😥 It's too bad - it's really nice. Hopefully we'll see some more later on.

• Like 1

Is there a lot of OMGF never before seen glacier melt discussed?

That fish does look like simple perfection. Are the striations the way the fish flakes or from the pan?

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

Is there a lot of OMGF never before seen glacier melt discussed?

That fish does look like simple perfection. Are the striations the way the fish flakes or from the pan?

I don't think there's much more glacial melt this year than last. One person was saying it hit a sweltering 22°C last year around this time - now it's maybe a high of 18°C

The striations are grill marks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Spectacular scenery.  Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

Just wait - these are just the teasers! I'll go through the whole thing in detail once I get home 

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, KennethT said:

Local char (sometimes labelled Iceland trout) on menus here:

PXL_20220702_135153265.thumb.jpg.437bde552d0c1a3378ce10daaef42133.jpg

It was perfectly cooked!

I have become fond of (what is called here) arctic char.  I understand the char found (or, as last week, not found) in our markets is farm raised in Iceland.  Was the fish you were served wild caught?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have become fond of (what is called here) arctic char.  I understand the char found (or, as last week, not found) in our markets is farm raised in Iceland.  Was the fish you were served wild caught?

I don't know. I haven't seen the distinction here other than them calling it "local trout" or something like that. It's really good regardless!

• Like 3

Up close to the Hoffellsjokull glacial lagoon. We were planning a couple mile long hike around the area which would have had multiple views but it was so windy that it knocked us over. It was like standing in a hurricane. Actually I've been in hurricanes but none as windy as this!

PXL_20220703_161856981.thumb.jpg.dd32e2278e7388ebc7fa383f4e511e4c.jpg

• Like 12

Trout and char are both salmonids. The easy distinction is that true trout (eg brown) have darker spots than their skin color and chars(eg brook) have lighter spots. There are other distinctions like bone structure/scales etc.

They all eat well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What's wrong with Northern Iceland?

It's far away from Southern Iceland.   Seriously though, there's amazing things to see all over Iceland, but we only have 9 days or so on the ground so we had to pick. There's also the Western Fjords and East Iceland.

• Like 5

The famous Icelandic hot dog.

PXL_20220708_152243886.thumb.jpg.440e63d310998f5b90d6178e5220a6bf.jpg

This concludes the "teaser" portion. We fly home tomorrow evening and it'll take a day or two or go through the tons of photos between my wife and me and put together a cohesive (and hopefully coherent) story.  Stay tuned....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1