• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating and Hiking Around Southern Iceland: A Taste

P.S. I just took this photo (11:25PM) from our room in Reykjavik. Between cars with their muffler cutouts roaring by every 5 minutes and the incessant beat from the dance club down the block I'm hoping to get a decent night's sleep. Oh yeah, and people walking by screaming for some God knows why reason. And I'm on the 4th floor  with thick double glazed windows!!!!! There's got to be at least 3/4 of an inch of glass between us and the outside world....

Makes me long for the middle of nowhere again, or my apartment in the middle of NYC.

PXL_20220708_232512381.thumb.jpg.0b9a4e980939c56021dacf8916e23e63.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

P.S. I just took this photo (11:25PM) from our room in Reykjavik. Between cars with their muffler cutouts roaring by every 5 minutes and the incessant beat from the dance club down the block I'm hoping to get a decent night's sleep. Oh yeah, and people walking by screaming for some God knows why reason. And I'm on the 4th floor  with thick double glazed windows!!!!! There's got to be at least 3/4 of an inch of glass between us and the outside world....

Makes me long for the middle of nowhere again, or my apartment in the middle of NYC.

PXL_20220708_232512381.thumb.jpg.0b9a4e980939c56021dacf8916e23e63.jpg

Ear plugs?

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ear plugs?

We didn't bring them. Who thought you'd need ear plugs in Iceland? Eye masks, check - even though I feel like I'm suffocating.

Also, it was nice to come back to the hotel after dinner to find a sign out front saying that they lock the front door after a certain time for security and if you need to get in you have to call a phone number!

10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

We didn't bring them. Who thought you'd need ear plugs in Iceland? Eye masks, check - even though I feel like I'm suffocating.

Also, it was nice to come back to the hotel after dinner to find a sign out front saying that they lock the front door after a certain time for security and if you need to get in you have to call a phone number!

Holy shit.

Not the most comforting last night.

I hope you guys can get some sleep and your flights are all good.

Can't wait to hear that ya'll are home safe and sound.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Hey they only get a few months a year in which to party like this, right?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

Hey they only get a few months a year in which to party like this, right?

Why can't they do it when it's dark out? I'm to understand that Reykjavik is like this after 11PM all year long.

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Why can't they do it when it's dark out? I'm to understand that Reykjavik is like this after 11PM all year long.

Cut them some slack...they live in Iceland!

• Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?