• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soup of the Bakony Outlaws

lindag

I couldn’t find  @Anna N’s post about the soup so I decided to start a new thread rather than spent the rest of the day searching for it.  I’m going to make this recipe using a pork cutlet instead of the veal since I cannot get veal where I live. I will post after making it. I was terribly interested in her comment about it being the best soup she’s ever made or tasted. Can’t wait to try it.

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)
  • Like 2

Wow!  The pressure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Disappointed that my store didn't have any more pork cutlets.  I'll try again later in the week though I got all the other ingredients to make it.  

More to come, I hope.

• Like 2

Well, shoot.  Still no pork cutlets at my store.  So I ordered a pork tenderloin thinking it would be a close second.  We'll see.

More to come when I can actually make this soup!

• Like 3

What a cracking soup! This stuff is delicious - really glad you guys posted it and I stumbled across it. 

I had to tweak the recipe slightly - no sign of turnips in our regular shop and we don’t eat many potatoes any more so subbed those out for some diced celeriac. Only other change I made was that I used about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cream amount in the recipe, I added a bit at a time and that was perfect. 

Beautifully balanced dish, the slight sourness from the creams and tomatoes plays really nicely against the richness of the meat and stock. The paprika gives a great little hit of spice without being overpowering. 

This is definitely going onto our regular rotation of dinners. 37F7A7A7-93DC-4841-928F-B7FC97E22353.thumb.jpeg.64ed27b92f0438606d06614d886bae4e.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Well, I hesitated to post my comments about this recipe because it didn't turn out that well for me.  I think I followed the recipe exactly except for the elusive veal cutlet.  I ended up using a pork tenderloin piece.

And my soup doesn't look like yours, @&roidin photo above, mine is much whiter

and thicker.  Hmmmph.  

Based on your review and @Anna N's and the fact that it came from Fine Cooking I have to believe it was my error somewhere.

• Sad 2

That’s a shame @lindag - I think a lot of the colour in mine came from the first couple of steps, I cooked the onion and bacon till it was just starting to catch and the onions were nice and golden. Then I left the paprika a little longer than I would have done as I got distracted! This meant I had a pretty deep red/brown base when the veal and the stock went in. I’d definitely repeat this accident next time as I think it helped a lot. 

The veal I used was just some escalopes that I could get hold of, so probably not a million miles away from your pork tenderloin. I’d certainly have used that in place of the veal if I’d had to, not sure I’d be able to tell the difference.

Mine might have been a bit thinner than otherwise as I ended up leaving half the cream/flour mix out too so that might make a difference. 

I’d give it another crack if you were so inclined - will cross my outlaw fingers for you :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lindag said:

And my soup doesn't look like yours, @&roidin photo above, mine is much whiter

and thicker.  Hmmmph.  

I haven’t made that soup yet, but eventually I will. But I fully understand your comment on color & consistency, as I copied the original recipe from the website and the picture there supports your outcome (paler & thicker). Maybe by omitting the (thickening) potatoes and using only 1/2 the cream @&roid’s tweaked soup might be worth shooting for …

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, just to add, it’s probably not *quite* as red as in that pic - my iPhone loves to ham up the warm colours in food. 

And yes, Duvel, the potatoes is a good call - the celeriac stayed nice and whole but I’m sure that spuds would have broken down in the time I cooked for. 

• Thanks 1

@lindag

i’m sorry the soup did not turn out for you. I followed the recipe to a T. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@lindag

i’m sorry the soup did not turn out for you. I followed the recipe to a T. 

I'm sorry about it too, but I'm quite sure it was 'operator error'.

I often have issues with first-time recipes.

Also, I am not an intuitive cook, I have to work at it.

1 minute ago, lindag said:

I'm sorry about it too, but I'm quite sure it was 'operator error'.

I often have issues with first-time recipes.

Also, I am not an intuitive cook, I have to work at it.

I am not an intuitive cook either which is why I follow recipes the first time as though they were handed down to me by Archangel Michael. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog