• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying a Used Novasina Labmaster Water Activity Machine...Is This a Good Deal?

DomDeFranco

Hi guys,

I've been offered an older model Novasina Labmaster Aw, the model before the Neo came, out for £800 (about $978). It doesn't come with any sample cups or the calibration salt tablets. 

I'm wondering if this is a good deal or not? The accuracy on these machines looks top notch (+/- 0.003 aw) but i can't see a price anywhere on getting these salt tablets and the one price i saw on the sample cups was £240 for 100, which seemed a bit pricy.

Any advice or thoughts on whether this is worth buying and how much the sample cups and salt tablets can be gotten from and for how much would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dom

The salt standards are generally good for about 5 years. But not inexpensive. Cole Parmer

I'm thinking the sample cups are fairly standard between all Aw meters - and I'm sure you can get them cheaper. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

The salt standards are generally good for about 5 years. But not inexpensive. Cole Parmer

I'm thinking the sample cups are fairly standard between all Aw meters - and I'm sure you can get them cheaper. 

Thanks Kerry. Do you just need the one salt standard or do you need to get several? 

On 6/24/2022 at 1:41 AM, DomDeFranco said:

Thanks Kerry. Do you just need the one salt standard or do you need to get several? 

You generally use two points at least to calibrate.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, that's a pretty good price I would say. I think a new Pawkit is like 2500-3000 EUR and this machine is light years better. One thing though; you need to change the sensors in these from time to time. Not sure HOW often though, but you should check how much that would cost you. Also make sure to source a filter that can handle all that you want to measure. Alcohol will influence readings quite a lot - but they have filters for that.

I guess you're in UK based on the pounds - so just find the local Novasina distributor and buy what you need from them.

Edited by Rajala (log)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rajala said:

Yeah, that's a pretty good price I would say. I think a new Pawkit is like 2500-3000 EUR and this machine is light years better. One thing though; you need to change the sensors in these from time to time. Not sure HOW often though, but you should check how much that would cost you. Also make sure to source a filter that can handle all that you want to measure. Alcohol will influence readings quite a lot - but they have filters for that.

I guess you're in UK based on the pounds - so just find the local Novasina distributor and buy what you need from them.

Thanks Rajala.

Once I looked into the prices for all the bits and pieces I may need, It was a bit out of my price range just now I'm afraid.

The Chinese pawkit knock-off will have to do just now! 😢

• Like 1