• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kraft to make a name change of iconic product.

Anna N

Here.

Kraft will rename its product mac & cheese. Sheesh why didn’t they go the whole route and change it to what we call it – – KD.  Saves so much ink. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, lindag said:

KD   ???

Canadians call it Kraft Dinner, I think.  I ended up down a bit of a rabbit hole.  There was a line of "Kraft Dinners" out at one time.  I can find only 3 - Macaroni & Cheese, Spaghetti, and Noodle with Chicken (which I lived on as a broke college student).

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Kim Shook said:

Canadians call it Kraft Dinner, I think.  

Thanks. I should’ve explained myself. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Yup Kraft Mac n' cheese or blue box mac n' cheese. Don't know how they interpreted their focus group comments but in my experience the average consumer reaches for the familiar color/graphics of the packaging. Change that significantly and it is confusing.

• Like 4

The article I read said they're sticking with the blue, apparently because that's such an identifier. What surprised me was that they're sticking also with the "iconic" macaroni smile (an elbow turned curve down, with a sauce drop, like a smile). I was surprised because I'd never noticed it before! Then again, I can't remember when (if ever) I last bought the stuff.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

The article I read said they're sticking with the blue, apparently because that's such an identifier. What surprised me was that they're sticking also with the "iconic" macaroni smile (an elbow turned curve down, with a sauce drop, like a smile). I was surprised because I'd never noticed it before! Then again, I can't remember when (if ever) I last bought the stuff.

I don't remember the smile either. My ex and son liked it so I bought it. Always funny to learn that the highly paid ad execs seem to get it wrong - cuz of course me perception is all that matters ;)

• Like 1

I never had Kraft Mac n Cheese as a kid, and only bought it for the few years that my toddler daughter refused to eat my home made version.  I thought nothing could be worse until I tried Annie's. Changing the name is like putting lipstick on a pig, but I really am not nostalgic about the product or its blue box.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here.

Kraft will rename its product mac & cheese. Sheesh why didn’t they go the whole route and change it to what we call it – – KD.  Saves so much ink. 

When I lived in Canada we called it Krap Dinner.

Now I call it Mac and Sleeze

Sometimes home-made doesn't cut it and you just crave KD

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

42 minutes ago, haresfur said:

When I lived in Canada we called it Krap Dinner.

Now I call it Mac and Sleeze

Sometimes home-made doesn't cut it and you just crave KD

I had little knowledge of KD until I had  grandchildren. One of them still feels insecure without a few packages in the pantry. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog