• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 6/22/2022 at 6:17 AM, Shelby said:

As an aside, the jazz band (???) pictured outside the restaurant invokes more of a cajun food type place for me......

Yes. I've never worked out what that's about.

They do have a thing about saxophones here, though. Santa Claus is regularly shown playing one and they actually think Kenny G is a musician!

One of my first batch of students in China came with a couple of her friends to see me - bearing peanuts to munch on during the visit. She ate most of them herself and I renamed her Peanut, to everyone's delight. She is still called Peanut 25 years later and proudly uses the name on Chinese social media. Lovely lady.

She did shock me during that visit. One of them asked me what my hobbies were and I turned the question back to them. Peanut said "I love sex!".

I spat out my mouthful of beer. This very demure,virginal Chinese girl said that? That contradicted everything I'd been told about young Chinese women.

Turned out she had accidentally mispronounced "sax". Yeah! Being a Kenny G fan was her only sin!

liuzhou

liuzhou

As an aside, the jazz band (???) pictured outside the restaurant invokes more of a cajun food type place for me......

They do have a thing about saxophones here, though. Santa Clause is regularly shown playing one and they actually think Kenny G is a musician!

One of my first batch of students in China came, with a couple of her friends, to see me - bearing peanuts to munch on during the visit. She ate most of them herself and I renamed her Peanut, to everyone's delight. She is still called Peanut 25 years later and proudly uses the name on Chinese social media. Lovely lady.

She did shock me during that visit. One of them asked me what my hobbies were and I turned the question back to them. Peanut said "I love sex!".

I spat out my mouthful of beer. This very demure,virginal Chinese girl said that? That contradicted everything I'd been told about young Chinese women.

Turned out she had accidentally mispronounced "sax". Yeah! Being a Kenny G fan was her only sin!

liuzhou

liuzhou

They do have a thing about saxaphones here, though. Santa Clause is regularly shown playing one and they actually think Kenny G is a musician!

One of my first batch of students in China came, with a couple of her friends, to see me - bearing peanuts to munch on during the visit. She ate most of them herself and I renamed her Peanut, to everyone's delight. She is still called Peanut 25 years later and proudly uses the name on Chinese social media. Lovely lady.