• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are there any serious cookbook collectors here? (Julia Child, inscribed to Kay Thompson (Eloise series)).

ScoopKona

I'm a few months from packing my house on the mainland and permanently moving to the coffee farm.

There is one thing I need to take care of before I go.

I have both volumes of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, 1st edition (1961 and 1970), excellent condition. Signed by both Paul and Julia. And a lovely inscription from Julia to her friend, Kay Thompson. Thompson wrote the Eloise series of children's books.

These books will disintegrate in Hawaii. It's ridiculous to bring them here just to watch them fall apart in our humid climate.

So it's time to sell.

I'm planning on handing the books off to Sotheby's rare books and manuscripts department and see how it goes. But if anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hotsaucerman said:

sothebys is probably the best bet but maybe try contacting kitchen arts and letters in NYC? they have a rare book section i believe..

Ya with the current Julia in the media the auction house sounds worth a consult. They don't like to make hoopla if they don't think it will succeed so they'd be likely to give honest assessment.