• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate orange curd

jmacnaughtan

This started out as a take on a standard lemon curd. This version will give a softer set that's good for tart filling - if you want something with more structural integrity, use all dark chocolate or increase the dark chocolate content by 50%. The quantities here will give enough for a 16cm tart.

image.thumb.jpeg.1ffc3aeba9824cbcdcff8046c2fe5c75.jpeg

2 large oranges (for a stronger orange flavour and more acidity, use 3)

80g sugar

2 large eggs

80g milk chocolate

80g dark chocolate

- Wash then zest the oranges directly into the sugar, stirring between oranges. Set aside, preferably overnight.

- Juice the oranges and weigh or measure the volume of juice - there will probably be around 250ml (three will give you around 375ml). Put it into a pan or microwave-proof bowl and reduce until you end up with around 120ml of juice (this increases the flavour and acidity).

- Break the eggs into the sugar/zest mixture and beat well.

- Break up the chocolate into a large bowl, then place a sieve or strainer over it.

- Pour the hot juice over the egg mixture, mix well, then pour into a pan and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens to a bit thicker than a crème anglaise consistency. This should be around 85°C, or until it coats the back of a spoon.

- Take off the heat and pour through the sieve/strainer over the chocolate.

- Let it sit for a minute or so, then stir or blitz with a hand blender until it forms a smooth, ganache-like consistency.

- Pour directly into a tart shell and refrigerate. It will set quite softly, but will still slice. For a firmer curd, see the comment at the top.

ETA: I forgot to adjust the sugar content for the milk chocolate - with all dark, use 100-120g, depending on the cocoa %. I've tweaked the chocolate levels as well.

Edited by jmacnaughtan (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On 6/15/2022 at 1:37 PM, MaryIsobel said:

Thanks so much for sharing. One of my daughters is an orange/chocolate fanatic, so I will be making this soon.

I'm not Maryisobel's daughter, but she might as well be describing me.  Orange + chocolate is my very favorite sweet combination -- I live for those Terry's Oranges at Christmas, dark only please.  This recipe is going straight to the top of my Must Try list.

1 minute ago, CookBot said:

I'm not Maryisobel's daughter, but she might as well be describing me.  Orange + chocolate is my very favorite sweet combination -- I live for those Terry's Oranges at Christmas, dark only please.  This recipe is going straight to the top of my Must Try list.

@CookBot I think the Terry's Oranges were the beginning of her obsession. I've been putting one in her Christmas stocking since she was five years old!

• Haha 1