• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Cookbooks you've Never Cooked From

JAZ

After reading your piece (as reprinted in Best Food Writing 2002) "The Reviewer and the Recipe," I was struck that I view cookbooks in much the same way that you seem to; that is, I use them for inspiration rather than for the actual recipes. So I'm wondering if you have a suggestion for an Italian cookbook that someone (like me) with the same approach to cookbooks might enjoy.

And more generally, aside from the books you mentioned in your "Annual Food Book Review" newsletter, what are some of your favorites (current or "classic")? And why?

Thanks.

As far as Italian cooking is concerned, I am constantly tempted to riff from Arthur Schwartz's generous and wise NAPLES AT TABLE. There are others; if I think of them I'll add them. However, if you're wondering about my thoughts about other books, current and classic, you might download the issue of Simple Cooking made available to eGullet participants, which is, at Jonathan Day's request, one of the food book review issues. And you will find literally hundreds of cookbook reviews at my website: for the good, bad, and ugly.