• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking without a range hood

Mjx

On 6/10/2022 at 8:56 AM, Duvel said:

Please ignore the messy kitchen …

That's not messy. I can still see counter space. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

I’d question that choice …

Oil and grease from my range hood drips down onto my head.  Or into the food, depending.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

20 hours ago, Duvel said:

I'd say that "shelf" is pretty much a placeholder for a circulation vent. I also agree on your assessment that installation should be straightforward, as it is pretty much a contained unit, that you have to fix onto the wall and plug in. So ... let's go for it 🤗

This is now at the top of my (very short) wish list :)

• Haha 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

On 6/14/2022 at 9:33 AM, weinoo said:

Where are you looking - because that tends to not be an apartment building? However, a friend recently bought an apartment up near Morningside Heights, and it actually came with what you're looking for. The vent goes into some sort of air shaft that the building had been fitted with; since it's an older pre-war, I'm guessing it was retrofitted to handle cooking ventilation.

As I may have mentioned somewhere previously, when we renovated (down to the studs), I had hopes of venting to the outside, at the top of my kitchen window. But that involved an engineering nightmare, and by the time all was said and done, would probably have worked no better than what I have now, since it involved multiple turns in the ductwork - each turn crushes the efficiency of the venting.

Looking at houses mostly. Taking cues from if there's already a hood venting to the outside.

Notes from the underbelly

19 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Oil and grease from my range hood drips down onto my head.  Or into the food, depending.

Oh, yeah, I'm proud of my pancakes with vent-aged glaze of mixed oils. It's a house specialty. 

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Notes from the underbelly