• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Downsizing a Kitchen

39 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I had to look up what SteakUmm is/was because I've never even had a cheesesteak sub (If I'm going to have "steak" it's going to be STEAK and not a facsimilie in any way shape or form). I found a very old article about a Steak-Umm mobile truck going around DC suburbs.

What you didn't know about SteakUmm

This part made me think it's SPAM but with beef:  Say your visit to the Steak-umm truck is so inspiring that you pick up a box. There’s more to do with them then craft a drunk food Philly cheesesteak. Stick Steak-umm in fajitas, quiches, egg rolls, stromboli, Sloppy Joes, shepherd’s pie, breakfast burritos, and chili.

I've never had SPAM either, I live a sheltered life ;)

I am, however, VERY familiar with Nathan's :)

Steakum has nothing to do with a real cheesesteak. Most places use lower grade sirloin or rib eye.  Steakum is wretched fatty mystery meat that i wouldn't feed Henry. 

To their credit, however, steakum broadcast ads in Philly at the height of covid hysteria that addressed the rampant covid nonsense of the time. 

Product still sucks though. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

Steakum has nothing to do with a real cheesesteak. Most places use lower grade sirloin or rib eye.  Steakum is wretched fatty mystery meat that i wouldn't feed Henry. 

Nor me, Rosie:

n the 2012 lawsuit, Judge Lawrence Stengel described the product as "chopped and formed emulsified meat product that is comprised of beef trimmings left over after an animal is slaughtered and all of the primary cuts, such as tenderloin, filet, and rib eye, are removed. . . . The emulsified meat is pressed into a loaf and sliced, frozen and packaged."[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak-umm

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I was stoned and about 20 at the time. It seemed like something worth trying 😂 Every dining option on campus closed by 10pm and delivery back then was limited to Dominos until midnight. Without a kitchen the year of the Steak ‘Em experiment, we definitely got creative. Best thing we made and made often was probably asparagus covered in Boursin cheese and wrapped in prosciutto. That was once my roommate got a job at a well known small chain wine, beer, liquor and gourmet store. That “illegal” toaster oven was worth the fine we incurred as a result of an inspection. 

Yes, we had a Nathan’s on campus, along with a pub. Neither are there anymore. 

I’m wondering if I should just donate my Instant Pot. I have inserts (lots of them) for it and have had it for 2.5 years. Eventually it’s going to be obsolete and it seems like it’s probably not something a person living alone needs. Maybe the local soup kitchen would want it? I’ll figure something out. 

I am conflicted with the concept of electric grills. I get the PAG is electric, but I’m (incorrectly perhaps) assuming it’s different from say, a stand up electric grill meant to be used outdoors. I could get a “real” grill but I’d have to drag it out to public areas and the dog would go nuts being left in the apartment with me going in and out with meat so I’m willing to concede to an inexpensive electric grill. 

Any recommendations for a garbage can that has separate compartments for garbage and recycling? 

On a somewhat unrelated note, is it difficult to change out a toilet seat? 😂

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)

1 hour ago, MetsFan5 said:

I was stoned and about 20 at the time. It seemed like something worth trying 😂 Every dining option on campus closed by 10pm and delivery back then was limited to Dominos until midnight. Without a kitchen the year of the Steak ‘Em experiment, we definitely got creative. Best thing we made and made often was probably asparagus covered in Boursin cheese and wrapped in prosciutto. That was once my roommate got a job at a well known small chain wine, beer, liquor and gourmet store. That “illegal” toaster oven was worth the fine we incurred as a result of an inspection. 

Yes, we had a Nathan’s on campus, along with a pub. Neither are there anymore. 

I’m wondering if I should just donate my Instant Pot. I have inserts (lots of them) for it and have had it for 2.5 years. Eventually it’s going to be obsolete and it seems like it’s probably not something a person living alone needs. Maybe the local soup kitchen would want it? I’ll figure something out. 

I am conflicted with the concept of electric grills. I get the PAG is electric, but I’m (incorrectly perhaps) assuming it’s different from say, a stand up electric grill meant to be used outdoors. I could get a “real” grill but I’d have to drag it out to public areas and the dog would go nuts being left in the apartment with me going in and out with meat so I’m willing to concede to an inexpensive electric grill. 

Any recommendations for a garbage can that has separate compartments for garbage and recycling? 

I have never changed out a toilet seat, but have you checked how your future apartment handles recycling?  Here we first had a bin out by the street.  In other words directly in my lovely view.  That did not last long.  Then the county issued buckets, one for each apartment.  That was a bad idea.  People put trash in other people's buckets, and others stole the buckets.  Now we have recycling bins in back.  Eg. in other people's view.  People (people who apparently can't read) still put trash in the recycling but it has been the best solution yet.  I take recycling out as necessary.  I don't see the need for a special combination can.

Here the fire marshal does not allow "real" grills, neither on the balconies nor outside.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have never changed out a toilet seat, but have you checked how your future apartment handles recycling?  Here we first had a bin out by the street.  In other words directly in my lovely view.  That did not last long.  Then the county issued buckets, one for each apartment.  That was a bad idea.  People put trash in other people's buckets, and others stole the buckets.  Now we have recycling bins in back.  Eg. in other people's view.  People (people who apparently can't read) still put trash in the recycling but it has been the best solution yet.  I take recycling out as necessary.  I don't see the need for a special combination can.

Here the fire marshal does not allow "real" grills, neither on the balconies nor outside.

I have checked it out. They have closed off areas with dumpster for every “group” of units which has a dumpster for trash and another for recycling. Same as I’ve experienced before. Yes, a lot of people don’t bother to differentiate between the two, I’m assuming as they didn’t when I last rented.  They’re in the parking lots and I’ve also never seen the parking lots remotely close to full (I don’t want to rent a garage which I could) which is good. 

There’s a lot of green space (22 acres for approximately 300 some of units) so apparently people do grill and also bring grills to the cement open space next to the outdoor pool and it’s tiny “clubhouse”. I am not interested in dragging a grill, food and Maisey around! It would be an excellent way for me to either break a leg, crack my knee cap or set myself or Maisey on fire. 

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2022 at 10:17 PM, gfweb said:

To their credit, however, steakum broadcast ads in Philly at the height of covid hysteria that addressed the rampant covid nonsense of the time. 

Product still sucks though. 

I didn’t actually eat the product since it just melted into a pile of meat goo. And it was definitely not a rational thought but I suppose that George Foreman grill did me a favor!  I’m scared at the concept of ever feeding it to Maisey! 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I have a Simple Human stainless bin with a foot thingy that opens the lid, and two compartments inside. Odd size, so I order bags from Amazon. This one. Be assured I did not pay $250 for a trash can; I bought one someone else had and didn’t like.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 6/9/2022 at 8:30 PM, MetsFan5 said:

Also, I noticed when I opened the refrigerator it moves forward. I’m guessing that’s an issue for maintenance.

Is it empty? It might not move once you have stuff in it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cyalexa said:

Is it empty? It might not move once you have stuff in it. 

Yea it is. I should have thought of that! 😬 I bet you’re right!  I did get down and look at the wheels to see if there was some break- like mechanism that wasn’t on but then realized that was an incredibly foolish idea and now I will wait until it is full to see if it’s worth a call into maintenance. 

Didn’t there used to be a thread about drunk/ stoned 3am snack eating? My Steak Um experiment (along with a few others) belongs there. 

On 6/13/2022 at 8:14 AM, kayb said:

I have a Simple Human stainless bin with a foot thingy that opens the lid, and two compartments inside. Odd size, so I order bags from Amazon. This one. Be assured I did not pay $250 for a trash can; I bought one someone else had and didn’t like.

Yikes. I think I’ll get two relatively inexpensive Rubbermaid foot pedal cans and keep the garbage one in the kitchen and the recycling by the mini bar I have. I’ve always been stupidly awkward when it comes to trying to get a garbage bag to stay in place in Simply human metal cans— they always just kinda slide down.