• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Downsizing a Kitchen

In the next month or so, I will be out of my home and into an apartment. Naturally I will have to choose items to be put in storage, donated or to put into my apartment. 

Since my home had an open house and inspections and other appointments, etc. I kept the kitchen surfaces bare except for my air frier which I didn’t have room to store. 

I don’t miss my toaster oven— my air fryer can do what a toaster owner can. So that will be donated. 

I basically never used my Kitchen Aid mixers and attachments— my ex can have those. 

With all of that in mind, and having a gas stovetop, what are items on a small kitchen that anyone has found useful or on the other hand, useless? 

I’ll be going to the apartment sometime soon (I have no immediate reason to move and start incurring bills there right away) and will take measurements, test out appliances, etc. I really hope the freezer will have an automatic ice maker but if it doesn’t— lots of ice molds will be on my list. 

Keep in mind that while I basically never cook currently, I am going to make a very concerted effort to do so once I move. It will be solely my space and no one can say, pressure me last minute to let the future buyers have another walk though etc and I will be within .3 miles from a grocery store. 

I also need to consider staples to order for the apartment and garbage pails! 

I appreciate any recommendations! 

• Like 4

Our kitchen in California was enormous and wonderful. The kitchen in this house is tiny and horrible. A lot of my kitchen stuff never made it into this kitchen. Now, we need to downsize and get into a smaller place so I've been working my way through all the stuff I haven seen in 15 years. Hard to decide what to keep and what to pitch.

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

If you enjoy coffee or tea, make sure you have the equipment and set aside the space for whatever you need to brew that.

I had a very, very tiny kitchen once when I lived alone, and was generally cooking only for myself, and my now husband when he was able to visit for an occasional weekend.  Other than my stove and a dorm sized (!!!) fridge, I owned a dish strainer, two good skillets, a larger pot and colander for making pasta, a teakettle, three good knives (chef, paring, and serrated), one thick baking sheet (I did not bake bread or cookies back then), a blender, and two cutting boards.  I wished I had a food processor, but could not afford it at that time.  Even now, living in a home with two full sized kitchens, I don't own a lot of the gadgets that many people have. (I do have a food processor though!)

• Like 1

So much depends on what and how you cook. I would want my CSO, my stand mixer, and my food processor. Beyond that, a small range of pots and pans, a handful of good knives and cutting boards, and I could function adequately.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

When we travel and AirB&B it, I take a stripped down "kitchen" with us. It includes:

A cast iron frying pan

A non-stick saute pan

A corkscrew

Spatulas (one metal, one nonstick)

A saucepan

An 8x8 baking pan

A 9x12 baking pan

Dutch Oven

I find if I have these things I'm covered for most cooking that I would want to do. Good luck with the move!

• Like 2

I am going to hazard a guess that the apartment kitchen will have an automatic dishwasher - but consider how often you'll run it and you might want to keep place settings of dishes/glassware/cutlery for 8 so you don't have to wash something every time you use it. 

We've basically given up on our outdoor Weber grill in favor of the Philips infrared grill; it's the perfect size for one or two people IMHO (if you ask my son though he would tell you it should be bigger ;) or that we need a second one!).  So if you like grilled food, this is a good tool to have.

Agree with what Orbit and Liamsaunt recommended; I would suggest a muffin tin as well (it can be used for baked goods as well as making individual frittatas or meatloaf.   I would say to do a 12" saute pan if you have a choice, as well as a small one if you want to make scrambled eggs or an omelet for one.  You might want to keep a hand mixer if you have one, but I wouldn't go buy one if you didn't.  A whisk is helpful too.

A blender can be useful for pureeing soups, making sauces (peanut sauce!) and crushing ice for drinks ;) but to be honest the only thing we use ours for now is to make peanut sauce.  Well, the kid uses it for smoothies so there's that.

Consider how you will store leftovers, how you will store grains/flour/nuts if you use those - as Jo says, Rubbermaid is great for that.

Good luck, and congrats on your own space!

• Thanks 1

If indoor steaks or chops are your thing, the Philips infrared grill is indeed the device to have.  Don't thank me, blame Kerry.  Just be sure not to put the Philips on a circuit with any other kitchen toy.  Though steak tartare by candlelight has a certain charm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If indoor steaks or chops are your thing, the Philips infrared grill is indeed the device to have.  Don't thank me, blame Kerry.  Just be sure not to put the Philips on a circuit with any other kitchen toy.  Though steak tartare by candlelight has a certain charm.

See "I will never again..." for details.

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone! 

I have a lot of stuff. A 12 cup food processor, a big wok, a bunch of all clad, a full set of t-fal prograde non stick pots and pans. A panini press, a big oxo salad spinner, a deep fryer, a hand mixer, a stick blender. 12 piece Villeroy and Boch every day china… and that doesn’t include all the wine glasses, the hand blown glass margarita and rocks glasses… you get the idea 😂

I basically designed the kitchen in my home to my wants and likes (same with two of the four bathrooms 🥺) so this move will call for donating as much as it does putting items in storage. I have a local storage unit and have easy access to it so that I don’t have to worry about what to do with everything. I did buy a new knife block set since my ex is taking the one we have, otherwise I just need to do some creative thinking as to what to bring and where to put it. Even the storage for my pup’s food is a bit bewildering.  

I do have a dishwasher and I did take measurements of the insides of some cabinets and am worried my dinner plates might not even fit in these cabinets. I’ll bring one over tomorrow to test out. I really do not want to buy new plates, etc. and I’d prefer not to rely on paper either but tbd. 

I have a covered deck it’s about 11 ft wide by 5 ft deep, so not small. Only electric grills are allowed on it. I don’t know a single person who owns or has used an electric grill. They are inexpensive enough, as per Amazon, but “electric” and “grill” seem at odds with each other. I have started reading the PAG thread. The whole “don’t look directly at it” aspect has me a bit thrown though! 🫣

I appreciate all the advice. When it comes to storage I’m going to make sure certain kitchen and clothing items are at the front of my unit so I can always go back for something should I miss it. 

Once the housing market slows down I would like to buy a townhome so I do want to keep everything I have (that hasn’t been overused and easily replaced) for the future 🤞🏻  

• Like 3

I've moved a lot. I am cool with a skillet, saucepan with lid, a few knives, mini food processor. Plates? I know where they are in storage but no lpnger enterting so do well with just a couple plates, bowls I think you said you do not like leftovers in general, but some storage cpntiners and a small microwave did me well I like the glass lock and lock ones,.Wheb I bxed things up I labeled "soon" and "later" to doffrentiate where in storage I put stuff.  Leftovers can expand your creativity. Since you have storage, label well and do not overthink or vertake - my opinion.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, heidih said:

I've moved a lot. I am cool with a skillet, saucepan with lid, a few knives, mini food processor. Plates? I know where they are in storage but no lpnger enterting so do well with just a couple plates, bowls I think you said you do not like leftovers in general, but some storage cpntiners and a small microwave did me well I like the glass lock and lock ones,.Wheb I bxed things up I labeled "soon" and "later" to doffrentiate where in storage I put stuff.  Leftovers can expand your creativity. Since you have storage, label well and do not overthink or vertake - my opinion.

Thanks, I like the idea of label things like “kitchen soon” or “kitchen later”, etc. 

i also need to buy some new furniture. I think once I get that in place I’ll have a better idea of what I can store versus bring. 

I may try to negotiate for my ex to take our everyday china but he’s already taking the wedding china which is platinum rimmed and monogrammed to boot. We have the first same initial but my last initial is being reverted to my original so I have zero want or need for that. As it stands now I will inherit I think two sets of china for 16 from my parents unless they sell/donate them (please donate them!!😂) along with who knows what eventually. 

I think I’ll have to be a bit creative and will probably put my all clad in storage along with my Cuisinart and just keep the basics. I’m better at donating/ giving away my clothing than I am with kitchen and home goods. Probably because most of those were gifts. I don’t need a deep fryer or a panini press or even a wok. 

I do want a rice cooker if I can get one that is compact. When I’m upset/ stressed, rice is my go to comfort food. Does anyone recommend a particular make or model that doesn’t take up much space? Next time I go over there I’ll take a few pictures of the empty space. Also, I noticed when I opened the refrigerator it moves forward. I’m guessing that’s an issue for maintenance.  Dealing with the child sized toilet seat may be another issue 😬🙄

sorry for my whining. This is just not at all ideal and it’s hard giving up a space I spent a lot of time to make ideal. Oh and I think the main refrigerator at my home is dying. After 7 years and it’s from Sears so I’m probably SOL and my home is under contract. My jaw is so tense I feel like the Tin Man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MetsFan5 said:

designed the kitchen in my home to my wants and likes (same with two of the four bathrooms 🥺)

21 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Zojirushi.

Zojirushi. For the kitchen...and bath!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I wouldn't waste much angst on china.    I have sold or donated well over a half dozen inherited and purchased sets over time, finally settled on all white, large format plates and deep soup plates for fish stews, etc.    IMHO, food looks better on totally unpatterned china with no distraction.   And when a shape is either redundant or needed, I can easily swap out at Pottery Barn and friends.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I wouldn't waste much angst on china.    I have sold or donated well over a half dozen inherited and purchased sets over time, finally settled on all white, large format plates and deep soup plates for fish stews, etc.    IMHO, food looks better on totally unpatterned china with no distraction.   And when a shape is either redundant or needed, I can easily swap out at Pottery Barn and friends.

I like my every day set; I don’t want to buy stuff because my current ones don’t “fit” in my shelving. 

My mother’s main china is a simple white Lenox with I think gold trim. That works for me. But my parents still have and use their stuff.  So not my issue now and if anything when/ if they do sell their home they should have an estate sale. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Right now that PAG is tempting. I can’t see an advantage to an electric grill. Has one one had one? 

The PAG is an electric grill.  When I got the Philips I stopped using my old electric grill.  Which could not be immersed in water and was impossible to clean.  Hence it also created lots of smoke.

The main reason to get a PGA rather than a more traditional electric grill is that food tastes better grilled on it.  As @Kerry Beal explained when she enabled me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The PAG is an electric grill.  When I got the Philips I stopped using my old electric grill.  Which could not be immersed in water and was impossible to clean.  Hence it also created lots of smoke.

The main reason to get a PGA rather than a more traditional electric grill is that food tastes better grilled on it.  As @Kerry Beal explained when she enabled me.

Thar makes sense. I’m also wary of any “George Forman” branded product. I am not trying to eliminate fat so I can have a dried out piece of meat. Their electric grill has decent reviews but it’s not tempting. 

i had one of the small “George Forman” grills in college. It was essentially a panini press. One day when I might have had a bit of something that is now legal to smoke in NJ I went to the grocery store and saw Steak ‘Ems. Never having had them I thought they’d be amazing. I got home, immediately put them in the grill where the entire thing became liquified fat. I was irritated and I think I kicked the thing into a box in a corner, never to be seen again. 

I then hauled my ass to the Nathan’s on campus before it closed. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

i had one of the small “George Forman” grills in college. It was essentially a panini press. One day when I might have had a bit of something that is now legal to smoke in NJ I went to the grocery store and saw Steak ‘Ems. Never having had them I thought they’d be amazing. I got home, immediately put them in the grill where the entire thing became liquified fat. I was irritated and I think I kicked the thing into a box in a corner, never to be seen again. 

That might've been operator error.  But you had a Nathan's on campus?!?!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Thar makes sense. I’m also wary of any “George Forman” branded product. I am not trying to eliminate fat so I can have a dried out piece of meat. Their electric grill has decent reviews but it’s not tempting. 

Steak-ums are pressed fat. Garbage

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I had to look up what SteakUmm is/was because I've never even had a cheesesteak sub (If I'm going to have "steak" it's going to be STEAK and not a facsimilie in any way shape or form). I found a very old article about a Steak-Umm mobile truck going around DC suburbs.

What you didn't know about SteakUmm

This part made me think it's SPAM but with beef:  Say your visit to the Steak-umm truck is so inspiring that you pick up a box. There’s more to do with them then craft a drunk food Philly cheesesteak. Stick Steak-umm in fajitas, quiches, egg rolls, stromboli, Sloppy Joes, shepherd’s pie, breakfast burritos, and chili.

I've never had SPAM either, I live a sheltered life ;)

I am, however, VERY familiar with Nathan's :)

• Like 1