• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Annie_H

Annie_H

You should find a few choices of lump charcoal, like mentioned, at any big box type store. Like Cowboy charcoal

Not necessary to look for the traditional Binchotan. It is impressive burning hot and long with low smoke but fussy to get going. 

I only use it for a long outdoor brunch for a crowd. Just once during lockdown just the two of us. We had multiple small bites over a few hours. It is expensive but can be extinguished and used again. 

Rarely have meals that way. Rather have a few cold sides and salads prepped ahead, then a mixed grill of vegetables and various proteins. Still plenty of heat left using lump charcoal to grill halved peaches or something sweet for a dessert. Skewered mixed fruits. 

Most hibachi styles now are easy to add a few coals once grilling is under way. 

My memory of Kingsford is that it stunk. But probably due to overuse of lighter fluids. 

The imposter Thai binchotan I have is fine but doubt I'll purchase again when this box is gone. 

IMG_3340.jpeg

Annie_H

Annie_H

You should find a few choices of lump charcoal, like mentioned, at any big box type store. Like Cowboy charcoal

Not necessary to look for the traditional Binchotan. It is impressive burning hot and long with low smoke but fussy to get going. 

I only use it for a long outdoor brunch for a crowd. Just once during lockdown just the two of us. We had multiple small bites over a few hours. It is expensive but can be extinguished and used again. 

Rarely have meals that way. Rather have a few cold sides and salads prepped ahead, then a mixed grill of vegetables and various proteins. Still plenty of heat left using lump charcoal to grill halved peaches or something sweet for a dessert. Skewered mixed fruits. 

Most hibachi styles now are easy to add a few coals once grilling is under way. 

My memory of Kingsford is that it stunk. But probably to overuse of lighter fluids. 

The imposter Thai binchotan I have is fine but doubt I'll purchase again when this box is gone. 

IMG_3340.jpeg