• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Filé Gumbo Bar, Tribeca

Lucky me: an excellent po' boy with housemade chips at the new Filé Gumbo Bar, Church St., Manhattan. Served at lunchtime only, with shrimp (shown), oysters, or, off-menu, half-and-half. The étouffée, which I eyed over the shoulder of a fellow diner before trotting off to second lunch, looks very promising, too.

Shrimp po' boy, File Gumbo Bar, Church St, Manhattan.JPG

• Like 1

I had my heart set on a sandwich, especially since they're offered only at lunch; the gumbos I can get whenever the restaurant is open (and will!). And, that day, I did have considerable "research" to do in Chinatown. My po' boy was just an appetizer.

The bread was a pistolet with a flaky, brittle crust and a soft, chewy crumb. In fact, it was a Leidenheimer pistolet. Muffulettas are not on the opening menu only because the proper Leidenheimer bread is in shorter supply at the moment.

• Like 1