• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Julia - A CNN Film

weinoo

This is a really excellent documentary, which premiered on Memorial Day, on CNN.

JULIA, from Academy Award-nominated filmmakers Julie Cohen and Betsy West (RBG), will premiere for television on CNN on Memorial Day, Monday, May 30 at 8:00pm and 10:00pm Eastern (5:00pm and 7:00pm Pacific), with limited commercial interruption.  The documentary celebrates the life and career of chef, cookbook author, and television and cultural pioneer, Julia Child.

“Julia Child was an irresistible subject,” say filmmakers Betsy West and Julie Cohen, “and not just because of her charismatic, joie-de-vivre personality, and crying-out-for-imitation voice.  As a cookbook author and television chef, Julia had a profound impact on the way Americans think about food, about television, and about the possibilities for women.”

We enjoyed it immensely, and one of my main takeaways was how prescient Judith Jones was.

Trailer...

There's a little bit towards the end, talking about how Julia would parboil potato chunks, and then scrape the edges of the potatoes before cooking them along with a roast or a chicken - the scraped edges absorbed more goodness and got crispier, which of course made me think of the parboiling potatoes in baking soda methodology.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?