• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pots and Pots and Pans

26 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

Beginning in 2014 I began selling most of my antique cast iron cookware.  Then sold some of my copper cookware.  Several pieces of Le Creuset, kept the Descoware, gave a couple of pieces to my daughter and a large Danish paella pan.

I still have large Calphalon stock pots and some steel stock pots, though I sold the largest as I no longer do that much cooking.

Some of my skillets are used for just one or two tasks because they do the job perfectly and I don't have to make "adjustments" when I use them.

I have a store room used to be a bedroom and then the dog room when I was breeding Basenjis, now it holds three large steel shelving units that hold rarely used pots, appliances and some of my collectible mixers, toasters, waffle irons.

I just took this photo of my pantry ceiling.

pantry ceiling.jpg

The OG has entered the room...

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Original Gangster if translation is needed.

But accepted as founder,  orginal leader. I live in gansta land (born in Inglewood, connected in Compton) however the term has broadened

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, but did you count them?

I keep losing count.

53 pots and pans hanging in the pantry and kitchen.  in the store room, 5 stockpots 8, 12, 16, 20, quarts (two 8 quart)  seven copper tin-lined sauce pans, 2 unlined copper sugar pans, 5 Pyrex double boilers, 1 qt, 1.5 qt, 2 qt.  8 Pyrex Flameware saucepans, various sizes.  Two sets of Corningware stove top cookware with the blue flowers.  One complete set of Corning Visions stovetop cookware, brought out for when I make fruit syrups and candied or glacé fruits.  

Among the ones in the photo are 5 crepe pans 8", 9", 10" 11" 12"  Because I find it easier to make them  the correct size in a pan instead of trying to restrict the spread of the batter myself.

There are three omelet pans sized from 9" to 11" - just because.  

Some of the skillets are "throwaway" ones that I cook stuff that is problematic and if they get damaged, burnt, I can just toss them.

I think these add up to 93.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

38 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

I keep losing count.

53 pots and pans hanging in the pantry and kitchen.  in the store room, 5 stockpots 8, 12, 16, 20, quarts (two 8 quart)  seven copper tin-lined sauce pans, 2 unlined copper sugar pans, 5 Pyrex double boilers, 1 qt, 1.5 qt, 2 qt.  8 Pyrex Flameware saucepans, various sizes.  Two sets of Corningware stove top cookware with the blue flowers.  One complete set of Corning Visions stovetop cookware, brought out for when I make fruit syrups and candied or glacé fruits.  

Among the ones in the photo are 5 crepe pans 8", 9", 10" 11" 12"  Because I find it easier to make them  the correct size in a pan instead of trying to restrict the spread of the batter myself.

There are three omelet pans sized from 9" to 11" - just because.  

Some of the skillets are "throwaway" ones that I cook stuff that is problematic and if they get damaged, burnt, I can just toss them.

I think these add up to 93.

Well, if you count Corningware and double boilers I can add twelve more.  Plus I found another pot in the bedroom while searching for the Corningware.  I threw away my Visions -- horrible stuff.  Also I did not include my aunt's ancient bean pot.  I have never cooked in it because I am not sure it is lead free.

You and I both use our bedrooms as pantry.  It's just that I have to sleep in mine.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Well, if you count Corningware and double boilers I can add twelve more.  Plus I found another pot in the bedroom while searching for the Corningware.  I threw away my Visions -- horrible stuff.  Also I did not include my aunt's ancient bean pot.  I have never cooked in it because I am not sure it is lead free.

You and I both use our bedrooms as pantry.  It's just that I have to sleep in mine.

I didn't include any of the roasters or the ovenware, just the stove top stuff.  Nor my collection of tagines.  Remember that ongoing thread some 15 years back when Paula Wolfert would occasionally post about the different types of tagines?

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

8 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

I didn't include any of the roasters or the ovenware, just the stove top stuff.  Nor my collection of tagines.  Remember that ongoing thread some 15 years back when Paula Wolfert would occasionally post about the different types of tagines?

Indeed.  Thankfully I only have two.  I wish Paula were well enough to still participate.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had a similar impulse a few years ago and decided to photograph things. Since the pandemic I added a few smaller pots  more suitable for small dinners and the clay pot collection in the last post has expanded. here’s a link to another forum

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/batterie-de-cuisine.40503/page-2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think this is the set:

She’s exactly right. Three saucepans with lids, frying pan and Dutch oven that share a lid.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

I have one of these - probably from Macy's or some such. It's my popcorn popper or egg steamer.

Okay this is really funny because my husband uses it for stove-top popcorn as well! And he treats this dopey pot like royalty, as if it could never be replaced. It's the kitchen equivalent of a Timex watch. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I thought it was a booth in a Turkish bazaar!

I don't know how the camera jumped ahead a year.  The only thing I have done is put in a new battery as the five-year-old one died.

I fixed the date.  And remembered my cazuelas, that I use for braising pork, goat, chickens.  I have 3, 9.5", 12", and 15".  They have always been used on stove top burners, the largest on a portable burner that belongs to a turkey fryer. I have only once attempted to fry a turkey.  The pot does come in handy for making bone broth when I get a large batch of big bones when an ex neighbor slaughters a steer.  It's 28 quarts so I don't have to cut up the bones.  And it has a spigot at the bottom so it's easy to empty.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Okay this is really funny because my husband uses it for stove-top popcorn as well! And he treats this dopey pot like royalty, as if it could never be replaced. It's the kitchen equivalent of a Timex watch. 

Great minds! It takes a lickin' and it keeps on tickin'!! With respect for John Cameron Swayzy.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

15 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have four bedrooms. Two used to be my studios, one for glasswork, sealed and with vacuums on the equipment to suck up glass dust.  The other for drawing and painting. Both have morphed into more store rooms for my antique and vintage appliances.  The glass room is still mostly sealed off because I have a lot of breakable glass in there and I need to keep my now single Basenji out of it.  The equipment still in there until I can find a buyer.  The master bedroom only has my clothes and some other artworks, not mine, lithographs I bought back in the sixties and seventies.  No cookwares.

• Like 4

Here's an update.  I just got rid of 4 skillets, 14", 12" 11' 9" and a 12qt stockpot, two saucepans 2.5qt, 4 qt.

My neighbor knocked on my door about an hour ago.  She needed a skillet to cook breakfast.  She had put her large skillet in the oven last night, not realizing the handle was not heat resistant. 

It melted and burned.  

She asked to borrow one but since I have a surfeit of cookware I picked out three that have handles that can go in the oven, are non-stick (also gave her some appropriate utensils) the ceramic type.

One of my seldom-used stockpots with lid and a rack that fits inside.  Also two saucepans as I'm tripled up on them.  Also gave her a ladle/strainer/fat skimmer - have another, and one of my long handled super spoons as i two more.  This is a big spoon that is about the size of my hand, cupped and which can lift out a full portion of meat.

She returned home very happy, having phoned one of her sons to come and help carry.

So I now have seven fewer stovetop items, though it isn't even noticeable.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...

I tripped across a pot design I was unfamiliar with, while researching an article this morning. I'm not especially interested (it seems they're made for gas, which I don't have) but I'm curious whether anyone here has hands-on experience (separating hype from actuality is always difficult, otherwise).

https://turbopot.com/

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

37 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I kinda doubt this…

Turbo Pot technology can support a healthy and sustainable modern lifestyle

Me too. And try cleaning that base.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Fascinating idea.   No reason why it wouldn’t work.    I’m not sure how worried I would be about the cleaning, but I don’t feel I’m wasting my life waiting for water to boil.   

That was pretty much my thought. A look into any baseboard heater will tell you that vanes are excellent at emitting heat, so it seems logical enough that they'd do equally well at absorbing heat. Their site claims heavy usage by some big chains, which presumably would have done the testing before committing to a significant purchase.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My take:

- definitely work more efficiently with gas because of the vanes which provide a more receptive and in turn more dispersive environment for the gas heat

- however as electric stoves use conductive heat a reduction in the contact area makes it less efficient than if they had a flat bottom

- induction? the jury is out but I would guess the same logic as electric stoves would apply

My take is always susceptible to corrections and outright denials

p