• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pots and Pots and Pans

Feeling a bit bored I decided to enumerate my battery of cookware.  Only general purpose pots and pans designed for cooking over direct heat on the stovetop.  I counted 60.  This excludes all electronics and bakeware, as well as specialty pieces such as grills, griddles, fish poacher, aebleskiver pan, takoyaki pan (takoyaki are smaller than aebleskiver after all), and Rancho Gordo bean pot.  Plus the humongous chicken steamer.

For purposes of this post I did include my tagines and donabe which are more generic in function than, say, an aebleskiver pan.  Though I dare say in a pinch one could prepare passable takoyaki in an aebleskiver pan.  But why would one?

The pieces I use most often seem to be a forty year old stainless stockpot (no copper or aluminum, just thin steel), a well battered Williams Sonoma Thai wok (for which I have a spare still in the box), and a variety of saucepans.  What I find myself lacking is a small saute pan.  Sad.  Particularly since I prefer saucepans with high sides.

How do other eGulleters relate to their pot and pan addictions?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I cannot imagine where you keep all those pots and pans.  Are they all available for immediate use if you want them?  Do you have a kitchen with huge storage in it?  

I'm floored by the count!

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I might come close, which is really scary.

I must be remembering incorrectly...but I thought you had a very small kitchen with little storage space...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Well yes, I have a similar addiction. Way too many pots and pans that I don’t really  need. In fact, head I need ordered a walk recently that I will have to send back because according to Kenji alt it’s inappropriate for my induction cooktop. Probably a good thing is I don’t know where I’d store it because it’s big.

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

I cannot imagine where you keep all those pots and pans.  Are they all available for immediate use if you want them?  Do you have a kitchen with huge storage in it?  

I'm floored by the count!

Living room, bedroom, dining room, kichen.  Small apartment but probably larger than what @weinoo has.  How does one define "immediate"?  One problem:  after recently acquiring two lovely rondeaux, I have to remove them from the bed when I need to sleep and then put them back if I want to eat or cook.  Once I just slept with them in bed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Well yes, I have a similar addiction. Way too many pots and pans that I don’t really  need. In fact, head I need ordered a walk recently that I will have to send back because according to Kenji alt it’s inappropriate for my induction cooktop. Probably a good thing is I don’t know where I’d store it because it’s big.

Since my Williams Sonoma is no longer made, for an induction wok you might consider Falk.

https://www.copperpans.com/all-products#/specFilters=3!#-!18!-#!10m!#-!99

They should be quite responsive.  I assume you have a bed?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Darienne said:

I must be remembering incorrectly...but I thought you had a very small kitchen with little storage space...

Small, yes.  Unable to have a lot of stuff? No.  
I defer to the undisputed champion above; I enter the fray in the mid50s…and still have a bedroom with no cooking related equipment, other than a few bedside cookbooks.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Since my Williams Sonoma is no longer made, for an induction wok you might consider Falk.

https://www.copperpans.com/all-products#/specFilters=3!#-!18!-#!10m!#-!99

They should be quite responsive.  I assume you have a bed?

Who would want a stainless steel wok? And for that price you could get 10 of my carbon steel woke plus a down payment on a captains bed to keep them in!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Who would want a stainless steel wok? And for that price you could get 10 of my carbon steel woke plus a down payment on a captains bed to keep them in!

Speaking seriously, carbon steel warps for me.

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I can relate, though I believe you are at an entirely different level in both the size of your collection and its distribution throughout your abode. 

Mine are all either in the kitchen or garage aside from the bean pots that reside on the cookbook shelves as objets d'art when not in use. 

And if they're in the garage, I should get rid of them.  Except maybe the turkey roaster. 

What about Dutch ovens, cocottes, braziers, paella pans and tajines?  Are they all included in your count?  

Hmmm.  I might not be as far away from 60 as I first thought.  

• Like 1

Two cast iron works (one smallish, one large); two cast iron skillets (large and small);  one stainless steel stock pot/pasta pot; one small stainless steel pot which is only usually used to boil a couple of eggs. That's it. Apart from the essential rice cooker which is used 350 days a year.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

16 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I can relate, though I believe you are at an entirely different level in both the size of your collection and its distribution throughout your abode. 

Mine are all either in the kitchen or garage aside from the bean pots that reside on the cookbook shelves as objets d'art when not in use. 

And if they're in the garage, I should get rid of them.  Except maybe the turkey roaster. 

What about Dutch ovens, cocottes, braziers, paella pans and tajines?  Are they all included in your count?  

Hmmm.  I might not be as far away from 60 as I first thought.  

Indeed -- Dutch ovens, cocottes, braziers, paella pans, and tajines were included in my count.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Two cast iron works (one smallish, one large); two cast iron skillets (large and small);  one stainless steel stock pot/pasta pot; one small stainless steel pot which is only usually used to boil a couple of eggs. That's it. Apart from the essential rice cooker which is used 350 days a year.

I have a cast iron wok that is unlikely to ever warp.  However it was quite expensive.  What I almost always reach for is the Williams Sonoma one, which is tri-ply steel/aluminum and which goes in the dishwasher.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

That's not what I call a wok. My woks are only ever washed  by hand  with simple water. You can never build up the all-important seasoning washing them any other way.

Indeed, my Williams Sonoma cooking vessel was never marketed as a wok.  Technically it is a stir fry pan.  I love it though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Speaking seriously, carbon steel warps for me.

I understand - mine warps too - every once in a while I hammer it back into place, but I'm using it on cheap induction which isn't friendly to carbon steel.

Jeez. I feel inadequate. Three cast iron skillets, a 10-inch and a 12-inch nonstick saute pan, a high-sided stainless frying pan, my 9-piece set of 3 saucepans with lids, Dutch oven and frying pan that share a lid, and a cast iron Dutch oven. Half a dozen ceramic or Pyrex baking dishes, a taijin, and assorted metal baking containers. Oh, and the canners and the turkey roaster live in the garage, as does the cast iron grill pan @Kerry Beal gave me on the condition I clean it up and reseason it, which I will…someday. And I suppose I should count the three or four grill baskets.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

And I suppose I should count the three or four grill baskets.

Not if you're following OP's original set of guidelines...

On 6/4/2022 at 5:09 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Only general purpose pots and pans designed for cooking over direct heat on the stovetop.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 hours ago, kayb said:

my 9-piece set of 3 saucepans with lids, 

What am I missing here?  How do 3 saucepans with lids make up 9 pieces?  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

What am I missing here?  How do 3 saucepans with lids make up 9 pieces?  

I think this is the set:

4 hours ago, kayb said:

my 9-piece set of 3 saucepans with lids, Dutch oven and frying pan that share a lid,

• Thanks 1

Not counting any lids, several of which do double duty. Also not counting baking pieces, no sheet pans, no designated roasting pans, casseroles, bread pans or pie pans. No electrical appliances like rice cookers (yes I have one), slow cookers or instant pots (I have neither.)  

I don't have any pot and pan obsessions or addictions and I try hard not to acquire more stuff. I have replaced two dutch overs and the the two older ones do heavy lifting, one as a marmalade pot and the other for bread baking. The newer ones get regular use for soups and stews, etc. Another pan was a thrift store find in very good condition. It is Le Creuset and I think they call it a paella pan. It is big and doesn't see heavy use, but comes in very handy for several things, none of which is paella.. So I have a total of  five enamel coated cast iron dutch ovens.  5

I have three cast iron fry pans. One is large and square and is in beautiful condition. It got a fair amount of use for bacon, but I hardly ever use it anymore. The next one is also in good shape and can fit two medium size grilled sandwiches. The third one is tiny and cute and gets used for toasting spices or little jobs. Two other saute pans include a 12 inch stainless steel and a 10 inch cheap non stick job that has been replaced once. Handy for eggs or delicate fish cakes, etc. Then I have one dedicated french omelet pan that is a relatively heavy carbon steel workhorse. I've had it forever and it's magic.   6 

I have two copper pots. One is perfect for several portions of risotto, grits, rice pudding, stewed rhubarb, etc. It is at least 30 years old and gets frequent use. The other is a shallow slope sided pan that is perfect for making a tarte tatin. Limited use, but a great Good Will find a million years ago.  2

Two pots for miscellaneous use. An ancient trashy Rivere Ware that is big enough to steam five eggs on a steamer rack. And a nice sturdy little stainless steel one for making two portions of rice or bulgur or sauces.  2

Two other stainless steel pots include a high sided spaghetti pot, potato boiling pot, whatever and very sturdy.  The other is a relatively lightweight stainless steel pot  that is quite big and used for primarily for making stock.  2

So that makes a total of 17, to the best of my knowledge. It's beyond me why I spent the time to count my pans for this thread. I could have made lunch instead.

Oh wait! I forgot the wok. At least 35 years old, carbon steel, used at least once a week, and I couldn't live without it. 

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

An ancient trashy Rivere Ware that is big enough to steam five eggs on a steamer rack.

I have one of these - probably from Macy's or some such. It's my popcorn popper or egg steamer.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Beginning in 2014 I began selling most of my antique cast iron cookware.  Then sold some of my copper cookware.  Several pieces of Le Creuset, kept the Descoware, gave a couple of pieces to my daughter and a large Danish paella pan.

I still have large Calphalon stock pots and some steel stock pots, though I sold the largest as I no longer do that much cooking.

Some of my skillets are used for just one or two tasks because they do the job perfectly and I don't have to make "adjustments" when I use them.

I have a store room used to be a bedroom and then the dog room when I was breeding Basenjis, now it holds three large steel shelving units that hold rarely used pots, appliances and some of my collectible mixers, toasters, waffle irons.

I just took this photo of my pantry ceiling.

pantry ceiling.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

13 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

Beginning in 2014 I began selling most of my antique cast iron cookware.  Then sold some of my copper cookware.  Several pieces of Le Creuset, kept the Descoware, gave a couple of pieces to my daughter and a large Danish paella pan.

I still have large Calphalon stock pots and some steel stock pots, though I sold the largest as I no longer do that much cooking.

Some of my skillets are used for just one or two tasks because they do the job perfectly and I don't have to make "adjustments" when I use them.

I have a store room used to be a bedroom and then the dog room when I was breeding Basenjis, now it holds three large steel shelving units that hold rarely used pots, appliances and some of my collectible mixers, toasters, waffle irons.

I just took this photo of my pantry ceiling.

pantry ceiling.jpg

Yes, but did you count them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6