• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Rendezvous’ in Memphis

Nockerl

:biggrin: Hi. I was wondering if anyone has had the ribs at The Rendezvous’ in Memphis. If so, could you post a description.

I was also wondering if anyone has tried the ribs by mail order. If so, what was the quality like, how did they reheat and are they worth plunking the money down on?

Thanks

I lived in Memphis for several years and ate a lot of 'cue. My then girlfriend worked at the Rendezvous, so I got a lot of theirs as well.

Rendezvous ribs are very good. They are dry-rubbed, not wet, as are all ribs in Memphis. If they are the only ones you can get delivered from memphis, I encourage you to try them. However, they are not the best ribs in memphis. Many prefer Corkys, but I like John Wills, Interstate, and Cozy Corner. The Barbeque Shop is also damned good.

But, try the Rendezvous ribs and see what you think.

Thanks to all of you! I'll report on the mail order later this month after I try them.

(I'm leaning toward's Corky's.....Or maybe towards the Rendezvouz :blink: ) :smile:

Dang, I'll probably have to try both.....

Edited for editing's sake

Edited by Nockerl (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Being a Memphian--a hostage situation for sure--I know that the touristy thing to do is hit The Rendezvous. But you'd be better served by avoiding that place. Dry ribs are good, and they're seasoning is first rate but, as a pure experience The Rendezvous ranks up there with Planet Hollywood. Go to Interstate or Three Little Pigs. If you don't mind dodging incoming rounds then that's the way to go. Barbeque is best eaten in hole in the walls, not ampitheaters.....

• 2 months later...

I've been transplanted to Memphis from Austin for the year (going to school) and I have to say, I'm really unimpressed with the Rendezvous. The ribs are good, but hey, it's Memphis. I've had a lot more luck at other places where the surly wait staff won't keep you at the bar for an hour before rushing you in and out with the tourists. My friends and I infinitely prefer Corky's (yes, it's an expanding chain). They ship, though I've never done it, and their dry ribs are almost always fabulous. Plus, they bring out lots of delicious buttered biscuits, and the staff always treats us like family, even if we are a bunch of starving college students. I've also had Neely's suggested, but I'll have to get back to you on that...

My recollection of eating at the Rendezvous was great ribs in a cattle-car type environment. Should of gone to Corky's.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Just a few random Rendezvous ( R ) comments

Can't attest to any other methods in Memphis, but ( R ) cooks their ribs without any seasoning. Prior to serving they mop the ribs with hot mixture of 50% water and 50% vinegar. Then they shake on the dry rub and serve.

Been there three times, guest of Memphis residents. Being famous and sought out by tourists does not make food good or bad.

Third visit was with my wife. Went to the cooking area and asked if there was MSG in the rub. They said no. Wife is allergic to MSG. Kicks off migraine. Before the meal was over I had to rush her to the hotel room. Gave her an Imitrex shot in the keester and put her to bed. Boy was I pissed. :angry:

Bought a jar of their rub and took home. MSG is an ingredient. Poured it out on counter and separated the parts. Used what I could discern and added my own thoughts and made my own blend, sans MSG and a little hotter than ( R )s.

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Just a few random Rendezvous ( R ) comments

Can't attest to any other methods in Memphis, but ( R ) cooks their ribs without any seasoning.  Prior to serving they mop the ribs with hot mixture of 50% water and 50% vinegar.  Then they shake on the dry rub and serve.

Been there three times, guest of Memphis residents.  Being famous and sought out by tourists does not make food good or bad.

Third visit was with my wife.  Went to the cooking area and asked if there was MSG in the rub.  They said no.  Wife is allergic to MSG.  Kicks off migraine.  Before the meal was over I had to rush her to the hotel room.  Gave her an Imitrex shot in the keester and put her to bed.  Boy was I pissed. :angry:

Bought a jar of their rub and took home.  MSG is an ingredient.  Poured it out on counter and separated the parts.  Used what I could discern and added my own thoughts and made my own blend, sans MSG and a little hotter than ( R )s.

Viejo

Hey, welcome to my town amigo. Smoke and mirrors and lots of bad food.

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)