• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you ever recommend public transportation

The few times I've ever approached a concierge with a question about how to get someplace in a strange city, my wife is always in stitches before I reach the desk. She knows the answer I'll get. "Take a taxi." I'm not a very high power type guy and enjoy wondering back streets of strange cities and negotiating subway systems even in cites with languages I can't read and alphabets or symbols I can't decipher. Paris is a pretty easy city to get around in by bus or subway for anyone who knows the latin alphabet. It's not Shanghai or Tokyo. Do you assume your clients want a taxi?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Sure! And many clients like to adventure as yourself! Also this is very handy to suggest when there are traffic problems, adverse weather conditions,etc

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I've used public transportation in Paris, depending on the location of the restaurant and on the type of shoes I am wearing. For example, Lucas-Carton is right at the Madelaine stop. Les Ambassadeurs is very close to a subway station, as is the Pierre Herme Bonaparte store.