• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trying to learn more about bitters

my cocktail bar has a pretty impressive collection of bitters and we're encouraged to play around with them in new drinks and whatnot. I'm a relatively new bartender so curious if there are any resources you guys would recommend to get up to speed with what pairs with what. Just looking for general guidelines to help guide my palate and become more confident when using them in cocktails. Prior to this I mostly played around with the basics (ango, peychaud's, regan's) so I'm overwhelmed by all the possibilities now, ha. Thanks in advance

10 minutes ago, georgeabshire said:

my cocktail bar has a pretty impressive collection of bitters and we're encouraged to play around with them in new drinks and whatnot. I'm a relatively new bartender so curious if there are any resources you guys would recommend to get up to speed with what pairs with what. Just looking for general guidelines to help guide my palate and become more confident when using them in cocktails. Prior to this I mostly played around with the basics (ango, peychaud's, regan's) so I'm overwhelmed by all the possibilities now, ha. Thanks in advance

There is a reason Angostura is sold in more countries than Coke.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Look up cocktails that use a particular kind of bitters and think about what other ingredients would have a similar profile to match those bitters

Take cocktail recipes and think about what other of your bitters would substitute in

Check out the book Bitters by Brad Thomas

It's almost never bad to feed someone.