• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

15 hours ago, heidih said:

Uuhhmmm you pay for eGullet? What the hey?  OK donor - but the site is free

Actually, *somebody* has to pay for egullet.  I choose to so a couple others don't have to, but that's not really the point.

The question was what food-related reading material we pay for. Of other stuff, I pay for Fine Gardening magazine but I've never had a subscription to Fine Cooking magazine. Partly that's because I keep a lot of recipes in an online note keeping system and it's an incredible hassle to get printed recipes into Evernote (scanning, cropping, etc.).

There are websites which I donate to but I think none is food-related. I'm very wary of the subsciption model; I just don't like my credit card hanging out where somebody may decide to charge it, and I might not notice. :(

TdeV

TdeV

13 hours ago, heidih said:

Uuhhmmm you pay for eGullet? What the hey?  OK donor - buit the site is free

Actually, *somebody* has to pay for egullet.  I choose to so a couple others don't have to, but that's not really the point.

The question was what food-related reading material we pay for. Of other stuff, I pay for Fine Gardening magazine but I've never had a subscription to Fine Cooking magazine. Partly that's because I keep a lot of recipes in an online note keeping system and it's an incredible hassle to get printed recipes into Evernote (scanning, cropping, etc.).

There are websites which I donate to but I think none is food-related. I'm very wary of the subsciption model; I just don't like my credit card hanging out where somebody may decide to charge it, and I might not notice. :(

TdeV

TdeV

13 hours ago, heidih said:

Uuhhmmm you pay for eGullet? What the hey?  OK donor - buit the site is free

The question was what food-related reading material we pay for. Of other stuff, I pay for Fine Gardening but I've never had a subscription to Fine Cooking. Partly that's because I keep a lot of recipes in an online note keeping system and it's an incredible hassle to get printed recipes into Evernote (scanning, cropping, etc.).

TdeV

TdeV

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Uuhhmmm you pay for eGullet? What the hey?  OK donar - buit the site is free

The question was what food-related reading material we pay for. Of other stuff, I pay for Fine Gardening but I've never had a subscription to Fine Cooking. Partly that's because I keep a lot of recipes in an online note keeping system and it's an incredible hassle to get printed recipes into Evernote (scanning, cropping, etc.).