• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stretch-Tite for aluminum foil

AlaMoi

based on poster comments, somewhere in the last mega-years-sites,,,, I bought a "stretch-tite" holder/dispenser for cling film.
clingy film and I have a bad relationship....
but!  the Stretch-Tite holder/dispense has modified my world.  

it works as advertised - converts stuck-film-everywhere OMG! ACKK! . . . to an entirely controlled wrapping/covering event.

one down side - not all generic rolls of cling-film/Saran wrap fit the dispenser.
the up od reality down side:  Stretch-Tite branded rolls are not seriously more expensive; shopping at Costco gets you a year's "brand" supply at less than generic cling-film costs....

I have a basement shop band saw - I make generic rolls fit....

but anyway....
the Stretch-Tite literature explicitly says not for use on metal foils.
ah nuts.  I'm looking for sometime that works a well as the Stretch-Tite for aluminum foil.
pull out the needed length, clamp to cut, keeps the cut edge on tap for next use.....

anyone used/converted the Stretch-Tite for foil?
like . . . dude . . . I can afford a second dispenser. . .
of any kind . . .

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Costco's food wrap comes in a dispenser similar to that.  My roll is almost empty and I'm going to put my roll of Press 'n Seal in there and see if that works.  Too often I rip a piece of that of on it's box and it squishes up against itself.  It is a PITA to untangle.  Thanks for posting about this item.

• Like 1

one of the biggie bennies to the Stretch-Tite dispenser is 'holding' the cling film in the thumb notches, ready for the next pull/use.

that function sorta-kinda depends on friction and static cling - two aspects that may/will/probably don't 'occur' with alum foil . . . .

if the leading edge of the foil 'falls back' into the dispenser, one can't 'grab it' - one has to 're-thread' the dispenser.

the steel serrated clamp-to-cut methinks can't be 'harmed/dulled' by alum foil.

having searched high and low . . . I'm thinking to buy a new dispenser, have that 'at the ready' and 'convert' the old Stretch-Tite dispenser to foil and - heh, see what happens!  I got three kids so pretty sure I can find a home for the 'extra' dispenser if it does not work out.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 5:05 PM, AlaMoi said:

based on poster comments, somewhere in the last mega-years-sites,,,, I bought a "stretch-tite" holder/dispenser for cling film.
clingy film and I have a bad relationship....
but!  the Stretch-Tite holder/dispense has modified my world.  

it works as advertised - converts stuck-film-everywhere OMG! ACKK! . . . to an entirely controlled wrapping/covering event.

one down side - not all generic rolls of cling-film/Saran wrap fit the dispenser.
the up od reality down side:  Stretch-Tite branded rolls are not seriously more expensive; shopping at Costco gets you a year's "brand" supply at less than generic cling-film costs....

I have a basement shop band saw - I make generic rolls fit....

but anyway....
the Stretch-Tite literature explicitly says not for use on metal foils.
ah nuts.  I'm looking for sometime that works a well as the Stretch-Tite for aluminum foil.
pull out the needed length, clamp to cut, keeps the cut edge on tap for next use.....

anyone used/converted the Stretch-Tite for foil?
like . . . dude . . . I can afford a second dispenser. . .
of any kind . . .

i tried foil in a Wrap-n-Snap.  It didn't work well.  Didn't pull of well, didn't cut perfectly (and I'd expect it to kill the blade, pretty darn quick.)

My history with the dispenser: I bought one.  My wife got mad at me, told me it was the most ridiculous thing.  Insisted it had to live in a cabinet.  I got her to try it.  Shortly after, she found a home on the counter for it.  She's given at least 8 of them as wedding presents.  We're on our third (fourth?), they wear out, the cover catch breaks. 

heehee....  the major 'biggie functional advantage' of the Stretch-Tite dispenser is keeping the 'last cut edge' of the stretch film available to grab.

it has two flapper jaws the film passes thru, when the film is cut, those two flapper jaws keep the film from 'retracting / disappearing' so at the next use one does not need to rethread, refind edges, etc etc.

I outlined the 'notches' with black marker - here's my left hand pull, right hand camera shot....

IMG_2363.thumb.JPG.3dca4e8a36ca7af67d4331a9e549861c.JPG

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I give up on the lame software, so . . .

after you pull out the needed length, and push down to cut, the film edges remain 'grasp-a-ble'

this is the 'cut off' piece with notch marks

IMG_2364.thumb.JPG.8974ca3069438658d70e7b5145f61eb7.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1