• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lady Wong in the East Village

KennethT

As we were walking around doing errands, I wandered into Lady Wong for a minute.  It's a beautiful store and have quite an assortment of traditional kuih.  Before I got a bunch of them, I decided to get 1 to try.  I got the Talam Gula Malaka and Salted Coconut - their photo is better than mine:

https://ladywong.com/products/talam-melaka

It had a very subtle sweetness and really good palm sugar flavor which went well with the slightly salted coconut.  The texture was a very nice kuih texture - stiffer than a custard but not bouncy.

I will be back to try some of others.  Unfortunately, they didn't have any pulut inti today, which are favorite type of kuih.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, EatingInTranslation said:

The nice thing about Lady Wong is that any of their kuih can be a lovely, satisfying treat all by itself, after which it's probably wise to keep walking. Another day, another kuih.

That is true.  I wound up back there yesterday and picked up 2 others - I didn't take a photo because they didn't look so good as we walked from there to Christopher St. to pick up some tea before heading back home and they looked a little worse for wear by then.... but they tasted great - both were fantastic.

Thanks (I think; my potbelly may not be so thankful) for alerting me to this place. Oddly, I couldn't find location info on their site, but per Eater: 322 East Ninth Street, between First and Second Avenues. The Eater article also mentioned https://www.kuihcafe.com/, 46 Eldridge St. Have you tried their kuih?

Michael aka "Pan"

I've never been down to Kuih cafe.  One day, but it's a schlep and Lady Wong is dangerously close to me now.  I agree with you though - I've been there now every weekend for the past few weeks, getting progressively more each week!   I don't know why they hide their address on their website, but if you look at their FAQs you'll find a Google Maps link.  Why they couldn't just put their address right next to it?

Edited by KennethT (log)

Speaking of which, since it was a long holiday weekend, of course we stopped by to pick up some snacks...

PXL_20220529_172502027.thumb.jpg.6ab7b56cc1d8e48500cda8ed3ae9a905.jpg

PXL_20220529_234835442.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.c53ae604c6f4d10a67f296ffee363d14.jpg

Kuih Angku with mung bean filling.  I don't know why we got this one.  Every time we've had it in SE Asia we've never really been fans.  The outside always reminds me of those wax red lips candy that was a big thing when I was a kid. And I'm not a huge fan of the mung bean filling - I wish they had the peanut ones.

PXL_20220529_180549712.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.4c3fec19ddba3d56a7915006c6a1df61.jpg

Serimuka gula melaka - palm sugar and pandan flavored custard with coconut sticky rice.  This was amazing.

PXL_20220530_182000690.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.5a0209c84e524b1d4b07b9c3e0ae3443.jpg

Serimuka pandan - pandan flavored custard with coconut sticky rice

PXL_20220529_235045143.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.b2fe1ab807988a0be5065db51286be10.jpg

Talam gula melaka - palm sugar custard and salted coconut.  I love how the occasional salt in the coconut offsets the palm sugar.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thank you for bringing to mind those wax red lips!

did some have a bit of cinnamon oil? Fun times

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 8:46 PM, KennethT said:

My reward for repotting my lemongrass plant.

I didn't know those would grow outside the tropics. I still haven't gone. I have to lose some weight first. 🙂

• Haha 1

Michael aka "Pan"

6 hours ago, Pan said:

I didn't know those would grow outside the tropics. I still haven't gone. I have to lose some weight first. 🙂

I grow them indoors with supplemental lighting.  You can grow almost anything this way as long as you tailor the environment to what they like.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
48 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I finally popped in yesterday, and picked up four to take home. Delicious, and not to Significant Eater's taste, which means they're all mine!

What did you get?  We've been trying to lose a couple pounds so we haven't been in a couple weeks, but we're due back this weekend.

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

What did you get?  We've been trying to lose a couple pounds so we haven't been in a couple weeks, but we're due back this weekend.

You had to ask, right?!! One was called "Vietnamese," one was the one you mentioned above (Talum gula), this one:

IMG_9312.thumb.JPG.8d796579e9fb51d8ce28d5e1b56c90f3.JPG

and one more...next time, I'll pay more attention!  (By the way, how many calories in these things?)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

You had to ask, right?!! One was called "Vietnamese," one was the one you mentioned above (Talum gula), this one:

and one more...next time, I'll pay more attention!  (By the way, how many calories in these things?)

I don't think the kuih are that high in calories. Certainly their savory offerings in puff pastry or what I've named the burroti (chicken curry in roti prata burrito) have a lot of calories and some of their more western style desserts do too.

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

If you've never had durian, their durian serimuka is great way to get into it. I also love their pandan serimuka.

• 6 months later...
22 minutes ago, KennethT said:

They just made an announcement this morning - my beloved Lady Wong is now offering mail order.  They're starting with a kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ladywongpastry/lady-wong-patisserie-delivered-to-your-doorstep

@Shelby I thought of you when I first saw this!

I'll remember to keep checking to see when it starts!

• Like 1