• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin is coming to Toronto

rgruby

I have no doubt they will go beyond French; how far they venture outside of the core however, proves to be seen.  Quite frankly, it will be their loss (and certainly not offering a full picture of 'our' offerings) if they do not venture in every direction to see the amazing diversity our unique population has to offer.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

I still haven’t seen the full list but it’s apparently one two star - sushi- twelve one stars including one in Thornhill which would leave the rest as Bib Gourmand and green accolades. Not sure what to think, if accurate. Maybe not a great investment on our part?

Cheers,

Geoff 

Here’s the list. https://guide.michelin.com/ca/en/article/michelin-star-revelation/2022-toronto-michelin-stars?utm_medium=ORGSOC&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=Experience-ENG-Partnership-&utm_content=MICHELIN-Experience-MTP-Red+Guide-Partnership-B2A

Bit surprised how heavy on Japanese inspired it leans. And Yorkville, but I haven’t eaten at any of those so can’t really comment. Have eaten at one of the selections and wouldn’t have made my list, but that’s just me. Am interested in the Bib Gourmand selections.

Cheers,

Geoff 

Bit surprised by a few things. The relative lack of high end French like Scaramouche and Canoe in the star and Bib lists. The amount of Mexican in the Bib and the lack of Asian from Scarborough or the northern burbs in there and the long list. Well, the relatively small number of restaurants in the Bib period. Again, not sure it was a great investment. Although we don’t know the terms I suppose.

Cheers,

Geoff 

Edited by rgruby (log)
  • Like 1

The fact that they gave Alo bar a star and nothing for Scaramouche is beyond logic.  Like you said, too many of these spots are centralized down in that core yorkville region and clearly the michelin folks did not venture too far out (did they actually eat at Frilu, or did they just hear that it was good!?) - if had they done so, Zen / Kaji should have made that (amongst a few others, perhaps even in lieu of some nonsense recipients like Shoushin) sushi centered list.