• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grinding Szechuan peppercorns

glenn

Is there an easy way to do this?

Most seem to recommend heating up the peppercorns and then grinding. I use a cleaver to pound the peppercorns but that doesn't seem to work all that well. And I'm too cheap to buy a mortar and pestle since I have no other use for it.  I bought a szechuan pepper grinder from Mala Market but it takes around 70 twists to get a teaspoon with a bonus of a sprained wrist. Help!

• Confused 1

Not what you want to hear - but a m&p in Colombia can't be expensive You will find uses. Hey - new adventures. Also the downward pressure exeerted on ingredients in M&P - just yields a more interesting result - my humble opinion. I often use a small marble one for black peppercorns when I want various grinds, $2 at flea market in Los Angeles ;) 

21 minutes ago, glenn said:

Is there an easy way to do this?

Most seem to recommend heating up the peppercorns and then grinding. I use a cleaver to pound the peppercorns but that doesn't seem to work all that well. And I'm too cheap to buy a mortar and pestle since I have no other use for it.  I bought a szechuan pepper grinder from Mala Market but it takes around 70 twists to get a teaspoon with a bonus of a sprained wrist. Help!

Sorry … you refuse to buy a mortar & pestle because you find no other use for it, but buy a dedicated Sichuan peppercorn grinder from an overpriced online store !? 🤔

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...