• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Few Days Of Sun, Sand, and Seafood

kayb

This is so great!  I'm dying for both the seafood and the beach!  We've decided on a whim to visit some dear friends in Jacksonville FL next month - two days driving back and forth and two days with them.  She's already sent me links to the four restaurants we'll be going to for brunch and dinner those two days!  LOL  Sadly, we won't get a glimpse of the beach - they aren't so inclined.  

I have to say that I'd be like Sue - trying the shrimp as much as possible.  

• Like 5

Well, all good things must come to an end, and I’m back home, where it’s 10 degrees hotter than it is on the beach. Lucy the Pug has made no secret of her displeasure with me — won’t even sit on the couch with me!

We left about 6:45 this morning, made good time, not a lot of traffic, very few stops, and I was home by 3:40. Dinner will be leftover road munchies.

Dinner last night was one of the best of the week. Our friend who made it home the night before suggested Fisherman’s Cafe, a dive bar-ish type place almost completely hidden under the bridge over Perdido Pass. Good selection of seafood, and what looked like a pretty fine ribeye as well.

Sue and I both had shrimp and grits, a preparation like none other I’ve ever seen, and I’ve eaten shrimp and grits all over the south. Cooked grits were formed into a tennis-ball-sized sphere, which was then deep fried. A serving was one such ball in a soup bowl, with shrimp in a Tasso cream sauce ladled around it.

A4B0DE17-ED09-4BF7-932D-CA97808FDFA6.thumb.jpeg.00926bf8cf5d961509d61f09d0c3538a.jpeg

Dear sweet baby Jesus. This was absolutely astounding! I am not sure what they did with the grits to make them fry up so light; the panko crust was perfectly crunch against the savory creaminess of the sauce and the briny sweetness of the shrimp. Just amazing.

Chad said the ribeye was excellent, as well. But who eats steak when they’re at the beach?

D53EC527-32ED-42FB-BBE2-ECF7B49E30F4.thumb.jpeg.84a6a1e477b5079707d1b84a853d2879.jpeg

Sadly, though I thought I’d taken a menu pic, I apparently did not. Instead, I’ll leave you with this shot of a beach sunrise, taken just after I got up today.

078221B9-415F-48DF-A5F9-93E71B37AE7B.thumb.jpeg.7cbae3546cd374f488bf2e50f26986d4.jpeg

Can I go back next week?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Can I go back next week?

Please do!  and take us along again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Interestingly, I picked up a new client today, from Suwanne County, just east of where I was on the extreme West end of the panhandle. B’lieve I may need to go visit him…soon…

• Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com