• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using a induction adapter plate atop a Control Freak

bpwhistler

Hi...there is a stainless milk frother I want to use. The Bellman Stovetop Steamer @ https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/bellman/50ss It's not induction compatible according to the retailer. I'm in a small basement apartment and only have my Control Freak. Can I safely use an induction adapter plate on my CF? If so, which is the best/most highly recommended?

Thanks

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title for clarity (log)

Safely yes, inefficiently most definitely - your espresso machine doesn't have a steam wand?

Check out Amazon for milk warmer/heaters - I have the Breville Milk Cafe which produces hot microfoam - perfect for lattes and cappuccinos

Considerably less expensive and more convenient.

p

1 hour ago, palo said:

your espresso machine doesn't have a steam wand?

I don't have an espresso machine. I use frothed milk to make matcha latte's. I looked at the Breville and several others. I've been warming my milk in a pan on the CF. I liked the milk frother I linked because it was the only stand-alone I could find that had a steam wand like an espresso machine. The steam wand REALLY makes a difference in the texture (and taste in my opinion) of the froth.

Do you have any knowledge of a highly rated induction adapter plate? There seems to be no firm 'this is the best' reviews out there. Just a lot of conflicting opinions. This post always has great info, so I decided to give it a try!

Thanks.

2 hours ago, palo said:

I have the Breville Milk Cafe

I've read varying reviews on this. Some good...some not so good. I'm a Breville fan. Joule Oven, Smooth Wave Microwave, 2x Joule stainless sous vide circulators, AND the Control Freak. Some of the reviewers mentioned that the Milk Cafe wasn't very sturdy. That was one of the things I liked about the Bellman. Super durable, simple design. Something to last a lifetime.

Do you like your Milk Cafe?

Regards

Edited by bpwhistler (log)

7 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I have one of these - works very nicely...

This looks nice. I'm looking for something that will make smooth and creamy. I'm not interested in latte art...but I'm looking for that consistency. Is this unit capable of that texture...very little froth?

4 minutes ago, bpwhistler said:

This looks nice. I'm looking for something that will make smooth and creamy. I'm not interested in latte art...but I'm looking for that consistency. Is this unit capable of that texture...very little froth?

Good question.  I suppose that's up to user ability, milk used, etc. And I may have used it half a dozen times since I bought it over a year ago...since then, I've traded down on my Silvia by giving it to a nephew and replacing it with a Breville Infuser machine, which can certainly make nice steamed milk.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've had my Breville Milk Cafe for about 7 years without a problem - used every morning - only problem is that it takes about 4 minutes to complete - induction heater and the frothing disc is magnetically spun

p

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, palo said:

I've had my Breville Milk Cafe for about 7 years without a problem - used every morning - only problem is that it takes about 4 minutes to complete - induction heater and the frothing disc is magnetically spun

p

I've had a Breville Milk Cafe for many years.  Love it!  Mine feels bulletproof quality. And its magic how the discs spin.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 5:22 PM, bpwhistler said:

IDo you have any knowledge of a highly rated induction adapter plate? There seems to be no firm 'this is the best' reviews out there. Just a lot of conflicting opinions. This post always has great info, so I decided to give it a try!

I'm speculating a bit, but my guess is there is probably not a universal answer here due to the different element diameters of various induction cooktops. One that works well on a small element portable burner might not work well on a large element cooktop, and vice versa.

Edited by dtremit (log)

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

I'm speculating a bit, but my guess is there is probably not a universal answer here due to the different element diameters of various induction cooktops. One that works well on a small element portable burner might not work well on a large element cooktop, and vice versa.

Thanks...I think this is probably the truth. I've seen multiple YouTube videos where it was being used on a variety of induction cooktops. I like the unit. I'm ordering it, and will try it on my CF. If it doesn't work, I'll get an inexpensive electric cooktop just for this. Thanks

Regardless of what plate you use, you'll lose the preciseness and accuracy of the Control Freak... it'll never go above the set temperature but there will be loss of heat from the plate to the cooking vessel. There will never be 100% contact between the two. Now, how much? Depends on the plate and the cooking vessel. It may be pretty minimal. 

Good thing about the Control Freak though is you can learn what works best with your plate and cooking vessel and then program in the temperature. Or just remember the temperature required like I do these days.

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/