• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cake Flavor Question: Opinions, Please.

AKS613

I am hoping you can help me figure this out. I am making an almond cake (using

marzipan and almond flour) with almond pastry cream/raspberry jam filling. For frosting:

cream cheese or white chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream?

Thanks in advance!

cream cheese is sweeter and somewhat dense by comparison to swiss meringue.  You're layering a lot of almond in there and the raspberry is a nice tart counterpoint to it.  You could just do vanilla bean swiss meringue, you don't really need the white chocolate IMHO.  We don't use cream cheese frosting for the exterior of a cake because it has a tendency to pull up crumbs and can be frustrating to work with.  When I've had to use it on the outside, I just mix it longer so the color is lighter/whiter.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd say skip the frosting.

My first inclination as well. Too much. Maybe I've had too many over sweet frosted carrot cakes. If you want a light covering more for looks - maybe a thin  powdered sugr glaze with lemon. I don't find raspberry preserves particularly tart so I usually blend lemon in. Preserves vary of course.

• Like 1

NO white chocolate.Ever. I believe that chemically white chocolate is only a few molecules away from a bar of Dove soap. And I agree about frosting, less is more with all that almond. If you feel the need I like Heidi's idea for a light lemon glaze. Also, rather than marzipan I think almond paste is better in baked goods. Marzipan has added sugar and doesn't blend as well.

• Like 2

That is a lovely cake, @Kim Shook!

If you really want to gild the lily @AKS613 you could cover this with green marzipan, put a fresh pink rose in the center and call it a Princess Cake ;)  (Traditionally a Princess Cake is a dome of whipped cream on top of the second cake layer but the inspiration is there).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

That is a lovely cake, @Kim Shook!

If you really want to gild the lily @AKS613 you could cover this with green marzipan, put a fresh pink rose in the center and call it a Princess Cake ;)  (Traditionally a Princess Cake is a dome of whipped cream on top of the second cake layer but the inspiration is there).

Thank you, ma'am!  It was utterly ersatz!  Canned frosting, cake mix, and Kirkland strawberry jam! 😉  An experiment for looks.  But it ended up tasting pretty good.  LOL

• Like 2

On 5/2/2022 at 5:03 AM, curls said:

Not sure what look you are going for or how long the cake will sit at room temperature but I really like Stella Park’s whipped cream with freeze dried fruit as a frosting. How about raspberry whipped cream? https://www.seriouseats.com/super-thick-fruity-whipped-cream-recipe

I'm absolutely making note of this. Eric Kim's chamomile tea cake had a glaze made with freeze dried strawberries and it was really nice. Would love to try it in a whipped cream.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm absolutely making note of this. Eric Kim's chamomile tea cake had a glaze made with freeze dried strawberries and it was really nice. Would love to try it in a whipped cream.

I've made it with freeze dried raspberries and used it to frost an almond cake. Really liked the taste and texture. At some point I'll post a picture to the baking topic.

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 2