• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Short-grain brown rice (asking for a friend ... )

paulraphael

On 5/13/2022 at 10:40 AM, lindag said:

Please let us know what you find out.  I would like to order too.

Sent an email last week. Left a voice message today. Still no reply.

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

4 hours ago, Annie_H said:

You have posted the site before. I also find the website overwhelming in choices. Hitting 50$ is no biggie. Nice to see some recommended choices. We don't eat much rice but recently DH has been loving some recent rice sides with beans.

Rice was never that big of a multi-times a week thing for us before either.

But once I bought the Zo, and found the Rice Factory, things changed, and it's become more of I may make it 3 or 4 times a week. Leftovers for fried rice (not these Japanese varieties usually) are never a  problem.

Of course, this has been discussed, one might say ad naseum, in another topic I had started back during the first we're fucked by covid era.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@paulraphaelClearspring produces a brown rice for sushi that has a very pleasant cooked texture, and I'm fairly certain I've seen it in NYC.

I used it for risotto, to settle the question of whether or not this is truly doable: the texture is good (not at all mushy), though the surface of the rice has a bit too much presence to make for a strictly traditionally-textured risotto (but I think this would be true of any brown rice).

BrownRiceRisotto_Clearspring.png

• Like 2

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 2 weeks later...

Still no reply from Massa Organics. That's not good.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 4 weeks later...

I finally heard back from Greg Massa. This was his distressing reply: 

The drought here in California has hit us hard the last two years, and our production has suffered.  There simply isn’t enough water to be able to grow much rice.  We’ve been out of stock of 2-lb bags for quite some time, and only have about 50 20-lb bags left.  After that, we won’t have any rice at all until sometime in November.  We had enough water to plant about 20% of our land this year.  It will be another short supply year, but we should have enough for a while.  I wish I had better news.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I finally heard back from Greg Massa. This was his distressing reply: 

Wow that is pretty getting us to drought reality. Thanks for the info.  Acceptance of reality is hard for many. My environmentalist buddy says "they won't believe it until they turn on "the tap and nothing comes out.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Rancho Gordo now has medium-grain brown rice in stock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just received an email from Massa Organics: 

Massa Organics is happy to announce that rice harvest is beginning this week! That means that after a long absence, we should have our organic brown rice back in stock around the end of November.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...