• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Short-grain brown rice (asking for a friend ... )

paulraphael

My partner loves this stuff, but has declared that what we get from the cheap local Chinese restaurant is better than what we make.

We get the stuff from the bulk bin at the local food coop. Type unknown. Cooked on autopilot by Zojirushi.

She says the Restaurant rice is chewier, heartier, less mushy.

Should we be looking for a specific variety of rice? Maybe from an Asian specialty market? Recommendations?

Notes from the underbelly

If not done yet, I‘d suggest to gradually lower the water amount. Contrary to popular opinion, brown rice is usually processed and the amount of bran removed makes a significant difference to the amount of water absorbed. If rice adsorbs too much water, the grains swell, split and starch will leak out resulting in mushy rice.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

My partner loves this stuff, but has declared that what we get from the cheap local Chinese restaurant is better than what we make.

We get the stuff from the bulk bin at the local food coop. Type unknown. Cooked on autopilot by Zojirushi.

She says the Restaurant rice is chewier, heartier, less mushy.

Should we be looking for a specific variety of rice? Maybe from an Asian specialty market? Recommendations?

Check your PMs.

• Like 1

Hmmm.

If you do look in the Asian market, you want 糙米(cāo mǐ). It is used for porridge making, often mixed with other grains and not often served as rice accompanying other dishes. This means that in my local supermarkets it is found with the other porridge grains and not with the regular rice. Asian markets may be the same.

Brown rice also comes in two types - glutinous (糯米 (nuò mǐ), 粘米 or 黏米 (nián mǐ)) and non-glutinous.

I hope  this is helpful and not even more confusing.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 4/27/2022 at 2:35 PM, Duvel said:

If not done yet, I‘d suggest to gradually lower the water amount. Contrary to popular opinion, brown rice is usually processed and the amount of bran removed makes a significant difference to the amount of water absorbed. If rice adsorbs too much water, the grains swell, split and starch will leak out resulting in mushy rice.

Thanks Duvel. I think we'll try this first. We were going to try medium-grain, but she tells me the restaurant's rice looks short grain like ours. And your solution is easy and free.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 2:13 PM, paulraphael said:

Should we be looking for a specific variety of rice?

@paulraphael - buy some rice from The Rice Factory.

They'll mill any of their rices to your spec. Which will be perfect for you to geek out over.  I get some 50% milled, and it's delicious. FWIW, all of their rices are quite good. 

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 4/27/2022 at 2:35 PM, Duvel said:

Many of the partially-milled rices from the Rice Factory I cook almost the same as I do their white rices.  Following their instructions, the 50% milled only takes 20% more water than their white rices, which are usually cooked at 1:1 rice to water.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Using less water seems to be the simple solution here. We used about halfway between the white and brown rice amounts and it got a thumbs-up from the boss. Probably will do a bit more refinement.

The Rice Factory site is interesting. Suggests that the rice we're getting is probably not completely unmilled (RF says you have to work up to truly unmilled rice to improve your tolerance to such a fiber bomb. No thank you!)

• Like 2

On 5/8/2022 at 11:20 AM, paulraphael said:

The Rice Factory site is interesting. Suggests that the rice we're getting is probably not completely unmilled (RF says you have to work up to truly unmilled rice to improve your tolerance to such a fiber bomb. No thank you!)

Some day (and that day may never come 😉),  you'll try some of the rices from the Rice Factory...and you'll thank me. (The little Japanese place in Essex Market sells some of their product too, but obviously it would be fresher and/or more freshly milled, and with many more choices, directly from the source).

I like that free shipping is easily obtained...my first order early last year - dating stuff like this is almost like coffee roasters!

image.thumb.jpeg.625ec1b110c69d0edb187753ab2c753d.jpeg

There is a great amount of info about how to cook, provided with the rices. I've got it taped up inside a pantry door...

IMG_6819.thumb.jpeg.31fc5059a296edf03128c43e29042ce8.jpeg

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 4/27/2022 at 2:24 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I love Massa Organics brown rice.  It's medium grain, not the short grain you ask for but it's absolutely chewy, hearty and not mushy, at least as I cook it in the Instant Pot. 

I realize it's not what you asked for but it's very good stuff.  Not sure where you would most easily find it locally.  

I second that recommendation. In fact, I'm down to my last cup and need to re-order. Unfortunately, the two-pound bag is out of stock; I'll have to call them later and see when it's due back. The 20# bag is still there. I usually buy 6#, then vac-pack and freeze most of it.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I second that recommendation. In fact, I'm down to my last cup and need to re-order. Unfortunately, the two-pound bag is out of stock; I'll have to call them later and see when it's due back. The 20# bag is still there. I usually buy 6#, then vac-pack and freeze most of it.

Please let us know what you find out.  I would like to order too.

About a month ago I purchased some Lundberg brown Jasmine rice.  I have been eating this for lunch a few times a week, enjoying the chew of it's grain, a few times a week.   Then I stumbled across this thread and found the Rice Factory to be of great interest.  So when I saw this video 

it seemed injust to not share it.

• Like 6

Very cool.

I look at (and now purchase) rices the same way some of us do high-quality chickens, or Kurobuta pork, or Anson Mills/Geechie Boy et al. grains, Rancho Gordo's beans, high quality chocolate, coffee, tea, etc. etc. Of course it's a commodity product here in America and other places, but that doesn't mean we can't up the game.

Sure - a little more expensive, but once again, looking at it as price per serving, not really that much more.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Thanks for posting the video. The Rice Factory is located in Scarsdale, just north of NYC. They have a retail shop and do mail order. 

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I wish I had access to fresh milled rice where I live 😞

One thing though, weighing water???

Weighing solid ingredients I can see as compression can affect amount, but liquids don't compress so it's not necessary - I have a set of graduated cylinders I use if I need the accuracy.

p

2 hours ago, palo said:

I wish I had access to fresh milled rice where I live 😞

One thing though, weighing water???

Weighing solid ingredients I can see as compression can affect amount, but liquids don't compress so it's not necessary - I have a set of graduated cylinders I use if I need the accuracy.

p

I always weight my water. Simpler and usually more accurate* …

—-

* graduated cylinders would work fine, but my kitchen has a scale, so I use it for this. In my lab(s) on the other hand …

• Like 2

Yeah, that's pretty much based on what's at hand. Since I'm weighing the rice (and usually weighing the rice after rinsing to account for the additional water weight), it's easy enough to weigh the water. 

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

Very cool.

I look at (and now purchase) rices the same way some of us do high-quality chickens, or Kurobuta pork, or Anson Mills/Geechie Boy et al. grains, Rancho Gordo's beans, high quality chocolate, coffee, tea, etc. etc. Of course it's a commodity product here in America and other places, but that doesn't mean we can't up the game.

Sure - a little more expensive, but once again, looking at it as price per serving, not really that much more.

Is there a variety of their brown rice that you would recommend?     The information on the website, I'm afraid, is a bit overwhelming.

1 minute ago, lindag said:

Is there a variety of their brown rice that you would recommend?     The information on the website, I'm afraid, is a bit overwhelming.

I like this one, good all around...Hokkaido Yumepirika

And this one - especially good for sushi, chirashi, but can be used for everything as well...Minamiuonuma Koshihikari -南魚沼 こしひかり- 2021 Crop

This is fun too...Yumepirika Comparing the Tastes of 3 Kind of Milling Rate Rice -

I'd certainly try to get a few different milling rates along with a white rice.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I weigh water for most things, but for rice have taken to using the volume markings on the zojirushi. I'd prefer to do it by weight, if for no other reason than right now, my survival depends completely on not losing the rice cooker measuring cup. 

But it would also be good to have some more control over the process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Yeah, that's pretty much based on what's at hand. Since I'm weighing the rice (and usually weighing the rice after rinsing to account for the additional water weight), it's easy enough to weigh the water. 

I agree, if you're using a scale for the rice it's a no brainer to use it for the water as well ☺️

p

There are a couple of rice mills in the county where I used to live. One, whose production was relatively limited, bagged and sold their product in the grocery. This was, of course, in the days before much of anyone ate brown rice.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I like this one, good all around...Hokkaido Yumepirika

And this one - especially good for sushi, chirashi, but can be used for everything as well...Minamiuonuma Koshihikari -南魚沼 こしひかり- 2021 Crop

This is fun too...Yumepirika Comparing the Tastes of 3 Kind of Milling Rate Rice -

I'd certainly try to get a few different milling rates along with a white rice.

You have posted the site before. I also find the website overwhelming in choices. Hitting 50$ is no biggie. Nice to see some recommended choices. We don't eat much rice but recently DH has been loving some recent rice sides with beans. (we met in NewOrleans). 

Eater is impressive in video features. Missed that one.

I think I'll order next Fall when we like trying new things after the summer harvest. Rarely have rice in the summer months. I do make a mixed grain most weekends for the week. Prefer a bit of grain for breakfast with broth and miso. Or granola with fruit and yogurt. Tiny teacup. (oatmeal makes me gag).