• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Janet Zimmerman's Super-Easy Instant Pot Cookbook

Smithy

14 minutes ago, Shelby said:

A bit off topic, I also have the dessert cookbook that Janet wrote that I have GOT to dive into...life keeps getting in the way...but SOON I promise.  Does anyone else have it?  We should make a separate topic if so.

I have it, but haven't managed to cook much from it for the same reasons I listed above. I can say, however, that the lemon curd is KILLER and is my go-to recipe from now on. I'll be in a position to cook from that book in a few weeks.

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

48 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh definitely try the Muffuletta cheesecake.  It really is a keeper recipe.

I just ordered this cookbook from Amazon and it's supposed to be here tomorrow--maybe the quickness is due to the hugs Amazon warehouse that was built and is like 30 minutes from our house.  I've been getting things a LOT faster than I used to.  Anyway, I'm excited!!!  A bit off topic, I also have the dessert cookbook that Janet wrote that I have GOT to dive into...life keeps getting in the way...but SOON I promise.  Does anyone else have it?  We should make a separate topic if so.

Well, dang, now you've made me want that one too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dave the Cook said:

Not any kind of pressure cooker? Because for all intents and purposes, this book treats the IP mostly as a pressure cooker.

Actually I do have a pressure cooker.  Just don't use it.  Afraid I think. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm going to move to a dish that's a bit of a head-scratcher: Cheesy Smashed Red Potatoes. I ask you: what's not to love about potatoes, cheese and cream? We loved the flavor but not the texture.

The recipe notes that red potatoes aren't really suited for mashing because they can easily become gluey, but with light smashing into cream and cheese they make an "easy rustic accompaniment" to grilled or roasted meats. The ingredients are red potatoes, cut into 1" chunks; heavy cream; shredded cheddar; salt, pepper, water (for the pressure-cooking step) and sliced scallions.

I can see a few places this recipe may have gone wrong for me.

1. I didn't have heavy cream; I used half-and-half instead. 
  2. I used the entire recipe in a 3-quart pot, possibly crowding the ingredients, rather than halving the ingredients. Hey, the spuds seemed to fit comfortably into a steamer basket in that pot. Why cut the recipe down?
  3. I don't have a potato masher. I used the up-and-down action of an X-bar intended to break up sausage as it cooks in a skillet.

The flavors were delightful, but the potatoes were without question gummy/gluey. Did I use too much stuff so it couldn't be broken gently in my little 3-quart pot? Did I use the wrong smashing implement? Was it a problem to use half-and-half rather than heavy cream? I hope to hear from @JAZ or @Dave the Cook as to what might have gone wrong.

I think the larger question is: why bother doing this with red potatoes? Would other potatoes have done a better job with this sort of flavor combination? This is an especially important question in light of a casserole I'd like to reproduce.

20220422_184014-1.jpg

Sorry for the crummy photo, but this is the best I could do.

• Like 5

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Does anyone have both the book being discussed in this thread, Super Easy Instant Pot Cookbook: Quick Prep, One-Pot, 5-Ingredient, 30-Minute Recipes (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) published this month and the somewhat older title, 5-Ingredient Instant Pot Cookbook: Simple Recipes to Get Meals on the Table Faster (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that was published in Nov 2021?  The titles are a bit similar so I was wondering how they differ?   

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'm going to move to a dish that's a bit of a head-scratcher: Cheesy Smashed Red Potatoes. I ask you: what's not to love about potatoes, cheese and cream? We loved the flavor but not the texture.

The recipe notes that red potatoes aren't really suited for mashing because they can easily become gluey, but with light smashing into cream and cheese they make an "easy rustic accompaniment" to grilled or roasted meats. The ingredients are red potatoes, cut into 1" chunks; heavy cream; shredded cheddar; salt, pepper, water (for the pressure-cooking step) and sliced scallions.

I can see a few places this recipe may have gone wrong for me.

1. I didn't have heavy cream; I used half-and-half instead. 
  2. I used the entire recipe in a 3-quart pot, possibly crowding the ingredients, rather than halving the ingredients. Hey, the spuds seemed to fit comfortably into a steamer basket in that pot. Why cut the recipe down?
  3. I don't have a potato masher. I used the up-and-down action of an X-bar intended to break up sausage as it cooks in a skillet.

The flavors were delightful, but the potatoes were without question gummy/gluey. Did I use too much stuff so it couldn't be broken gently in my little 3-quart pot? Did I use the wrong smashing implement? Was it a problem to use half-and-half rather than heavy cream? I hope to hear from @JAZ or @Dave the Cook as to what might have gone wrong.

I think the larger question is: why bother doing this with red potatoes? Would other potatoes have done a better job with this sort of flavor combination? This is an especially important question in light of a casserole I'd like to reproduce.

20220422_184014-1.jpg

Sorry for the crummy photo, but this is the best I could do.

Could you give more information on the X-bar?  I have never heard of such a thing.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Could you give more information on the X-bar?  I have never heard of such a thing.

I picked it up somewhere, can't remember where, sorry. It probably has a proper name, or at least a trademark, that I've forgotten.

20220424_225603.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Does anyone have both the book being discussed in this thread, Super Easy Instant Pot Cookbook: Quick Prep, One-Pot, 5-Ingredient, 30-Minute Recipes (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) published this month and the somewhat older title, 5-Ingredient Instant Pot Cookbook: Simple Recipes to Get Meals on the Table Faster (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that was published in Nov 2021?  The titles are a bit similar so I was wondering how they differ?   

I do, but not in the same place or format. I hope someone else will answer.

• Thanks 1

@blue_dolphin  I wondered the same thing and @JAZ  sent me this:

"I saw your question in the Camping topic about the difference between my newest book and the Instant Pot 5 Ingredient book. I didn't want to bog down the topic, but wanted to answer your question. There are two big differences between them. First, I only edited the 5-Ingredient book; while a few of the recipes are mine (reprinted from previous books), most are from other authors. In this latest book, only a handful of the recipes are reprints, some mine and some from other authors. The bulk of them are original for this book. Second, this book uses a variety of ways that the recipes qualify as "super easy" -- some are 5 ingredients, some are 30 minutes or less, some are quick prep (5 minutes) and some are "one-pot" dinners, where the recipe yields a complete dinner with no additional bowls. So there's more variety in this one. Hope that answers your question. Thanks!"

Janet

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Shelby said:

Oh definitely try the Muffuletta cheesecake.  It really is a keeper recipe.

I just ordered this cookbook from Amazon and it's supposed to be here tomorrow--maybe the quickness is due to the hugs Amazon warehouse that was built and is like 30 minutes from our house.  I've been getting things a LOT faster than I used to.  Anyway, I'm excited!!!  A bit off topic, I also have the dessert cookbook that Janet wrote that I have GOT to dive into...life keeps getting in the way...but SOON I promise.  Does anyone else have it?  We should make a separate topic if so.

I have this book and Janet’s dessert cookbook. So far I have made one recipe from each book (Italian beef and cheesecake) and both recipes were delicious. I need to make more from each book and this topic is inspiring me. A topic for her dessert cookbook would be nice.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, ElsieD said:

If you ordered yours from Amazon, when will you be getting it?  I ask because Amazon Canada is not delivering mine until at least May 13.

I ordered mine yesterday and it is supposed to get here today--Prime. 

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

12 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes I do.  Both have a variety of recipes but the 5 ingredient one has recipes that only have 5 ingredients. The Super Easy book  has some five ingredient recipes but most are not. The subtitle of the Super Easy book is a bit confusing as it implies they are all five ingredient recipes. 

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

18 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

The subtitle of the Super Easy book is a bit confusing as it implies they are all five ingredient recipes. 

...and I didn't help, with my introduction to this topic. Thank you and @JAZ for setting the record straight.

Spicy Chickpeas with Sundried Tomatoes and Olives

My, oh my. My, my, my - another winner!

This one has been on my list to try for quite some time, and is the main reason I cooked chickpeas in the IP for want of canned. Here's the setup: cooked chickpeas, diced (fire-roasted) canned tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, vegetable broth (I subbed chicken broth), chopped onion, minced garlic, harissa, kalamata olives, and spinach. It's supposed to be fresh baby spinach. I didn't have any, and used cooked frozen spinach instead. That harissa, by the way, has been sitting in the Princessmobile's cupboard for quite some time. I'm glad I finally opened it.

20220425_132523.jpg

Bung everything but the harissa, spinach and olives into the IP and pressure cook it. Quick-release; add the remaining ingredients and simmer (on the saute function) until the spinach is wilted. In this case the spinach had to be cooked until it was thawed. Adjust the seasonings and serve. In the collage below, starting at the upper left and going clockwise:

• everything into the pot (note that one container of cooked chickpeas was still frozen) prior to pressure cooking
  • an image of the quick-release process for those interested -- can you see the steam? It's a bit intimidating until one gets used to it
  • after pressure cooking and before the final ingredients are added (note that the frozen chickpeas thawed just fine)
  • ready to serve

20220425_145336.jpg

You all know I'm no food stylist so I'll spare you the picture of the served dish in this post. This might have looked better if I'd started with fresh spinach, but I'm not sure since the spinach is supposed to wilt anyway. 

That harissa is wonderful, and I ended up doubling the quantity to get a citrusy kick of heat. Now I'll have another condiment cluttering up the refrigerator, but I think it'll be a lot easier to use than the sriracha we carry around. 

My husband isn't a fan of olives, particularly, but I think he's going to like this too. He's certainly enjoying the smells. The kalamatas add just the right salty note. 

Incidentally, I made the full batch in the 3-quart pot, with no problems. This one didn't need to be scaled down.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 4

On 4/24/2022 at 12:41 PM, rotuts said:

very interesting re your experience w

mock tender 

On 4/24/2022 at 12:52 PM, Dave the Cook said:

So close, @rotuts! The mock tender is the supraspinatus muscle, and is on the same side as the blade roast, but on the other side of the flange that creates the "7" in "7-bone."

yes - this was I’m pretty sure explained nicely in Merle Ellis’s classic Cutting Up in the Kitchen.

I’m somewhat sure it’s the cut served in some old school Jewish delis/restaurants as Roumanian steak.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Ok, so I thumbed through just now and I've landed on the Honey Mustard Brussels sprouts--I have all the ingredients and wow that sounds good.  I'd do them tonight but I've already prepped other veggies.  

Soooo tomorrow :) 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ok, so I thumbed through just now and I've landed on the Honey Mustard Brussels sprouts--I have all the ingredients and wow that sounds good.  I'd do them tonight but I've already prepped other veggies.  

Soooo tomorrow :) 

That's on our list too! But maybe not tomorrow. :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Got the cookbook just now!!!  Not had a chance to look through it except to see the dedication :) 

I have several of Janet's cookbooks and am charmed by every one of her dedications!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

This might have looked better if I'd started with fresh spinach

Nope. We often add spinach or other dark, leafy greens to dishes to balance spiciness or boost vegetable content. Just tonight, we added dressed arugula to an Italian sausage sandwich. It turned an okay plate into a winner.

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

My husband isn't a fan of olives, particularly

Me neither. Maybe that's why I don't remember being subjected to taste-testing this one.

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Not had a chance to look through it except to see the dedication :) 

47 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I have several of Janet's cookbooks and am charmed by every one of her dedications!

:blush:

The best dedication I've read that was written by someone I know was Steven Shaw's (@Fat Guy)'s dedication from his first book, Turning the Tables (eG-friendly Amazon.com link):

to Ellen, who drives me 

If you spent an afternoon with them in NYC, you'd know how true that was.

Back to the topic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I got my copy yesterday and spent some time last night going through and flagging what I want to make. I love the sound of the Chickpea and Pesto recipe, but I am really not a fan of chickpeas. I may try substituting RG white beans of some sort.

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

Just recently, I have been able to download most of

@Jazz's cookbooks for the instant pot and I am really enjoying reading them. Although I have been using my knock off instant pot for about 3 years, it seems that every page I turn, I learn something new or a new way to do something.

Her directions are so precise and so easy to follow that you feel like you have an instructor right at your elbow.

I particularly like the way that they are written to be used in the computer format. The links within the chapters are invaluable. They are the easiest ebooks to navigate that I have ever seen.

Now I just have to go from reading to executing. There are so many that I want to try that I just don't know where to start.

• Like 4