• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry Porcini Mushroom Source?

paulraphael

42 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Last few batches I've bought have been terrible. I don't even know how to describe the flavor. 

Any thoughts on where to get good ones?

I admit I've been looking for bargains, and trusting online reviews. Lesson learned.

Gustiamo has quality.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Last few batches I've bought have been terrible. I don't even know how to describe the flavor. 

I admit I've been looking for bargains, and trusting online reviews. Lesson learned.

I buy from Parmashop...

https://www.parmashop.com/english/gourmet/valtaro-porcini-mushrooms-and-other-parma-delights.html

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Looks like the same sourcing for these two places...

Borgotaro porcini come from Valtaro, a valley of the Taro river in the Apennine mountains where Emilia Romagna, Tuscany and Liguria meet.

Then there are shipping charges, which probably are a lot higher from Italy than from the Bronx. Gustiamo will let you order as much stuff as you want, and the shipping maxes out at $20.  Or, they let you pick up at the warehouse on Fridays.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

11 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Where did you get them from?  I've gotten them from kalustyan's and they've been pretty good, but I really don't have much to compare them with since I don't think I've bought them from anywhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Where did you get them from?  I've gotten them from kalustyan's and they've been pretty good, but I really don't have much to compare them with since I don't think I've bought them from anywhere else.

19 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

I haven't bought them from Surfas since I moved away from California, but I was always happy with everything I got there. They have several varieties and sizes to choose from. Dried mushrooms at Surfas.

I think the bottom line is you want porcinis (dried) from Italy. Hence, from a good trusted enough source.  

My impression of dried porcini mushrooms from Bulgaria (the link above), Poland, China, is that they're simply not up to the Italian quality. Yes, I've tried them all.

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog